Moving to Salt Lake City-Need advice on what equipment to buy?

Hello All. First time poster but have been reading the forums for about 7 years.

I will be moving to salt lake city, ut in the next month or so. Just wondering if I should buy a good Pi machine or just stick to a pan and a sluice? Everything I've read says that Utah gold is very small. I have found 2 small nuggets in the gold basin with a metal detector.

Thank you in advance for any help you might give.

The GPX5000 Fine Gold Timings are very good, I researched VLF vs. PI Detectors for some time and came to the conclusion PI was a better investment for me. It is significantly more money, but well worth it in my opinion. The GPX is easy to operate, excellent technology and only extends it's advantages with time spent utilizing it.

I would do the same again.

It will always depend on your ground/soils, highly mineralized soils is where the GXP will shine, if it is within your budget, I would recommend spending the extra money on what many consider to be the Best PI around.

There are some very good VLF's, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro & the Eureka Gold are very good.

I borrowed a Tesoro Lobo and found it to be an excellent basic VLF.

You have options, choose wisely based upon your budget and needs.

Happy hunting in Utah~!

You're right, don't plan on finding a bunch of gold in UT while wielding a PI detector. I won't go as far as to say it is impossible, just not likely at all. You would do much better to purchase more traditional prospecting supplies due to the very small gold size. If you are planning on regularly visiting adjacent states and the trip is no problem, you might still consider the PI detector.

I live in Utah ,and Rexb is right on the money. There is a few areas with small

nuggets ,but they are rare, and already are claimed. Over in the Henry Mountains

there is a small public prospecting area. There has been a few small nuggets found

there with detectors in the past,but very few. Your best bet for getting gold here is

a pan,sluice,or recirculating high banker. If you manage to pay for your pan you are

doing good. :unsure:

Thank you for all for the great info. I plan on joining NUPA as soon as I arrive in SLC. I plan on using a pan and a sluice to maybe locate some flakes.

I used to live in MN and would go to the gold basin once a month to hopefully find a nugget with my detector. After about 3 months I was able to find 2 decent size nuggets with my Minelab Explorer SE Pro. I am sure that machine was not Ideal for the conditions but It was all that I could afford at the time.

I have been metal detecting for over 20 yrs and am looking foward to keeping my hobby going in Utah.