PI Detectors and Knee Replacement

Hello all,

I have a GPX4000 and have had some success finding up to 12 gram nuggets. I am looking forward to upgrading to a 5000 when I retire later this year. Overdue thanks to Rob for running such a great show here!!!

I had knee surgery (stem cell) back at the end of September. Apparently it was unsuccessful. Next option will probably be partial knee replacement.

My Question: I am curious how much impact the metal in the knee has on the ability to detect. I wonder if any of you guys might have first hand experience with this one.

I really appreciate any responses.

Randy

Randy good to see ya postin,

an older friend of mine had metal in his knee and used the minelabs successfully.

I have also seen others post on this topic and even with both knees they were able to go.

I'm sure some others with 1st hand exp. will chime in.

Take care an sorry to hear the op wasn't that successful for you.

tfrandy

I recommend Doc's extended coil shaft . It gets the coil out in front of you rather than close under your knees.
I use a longer upper shaft to get the large mono coils away from my body and any metal I'm carrying. Good luck to ya, AzNuggetBob

Doc's extended shafts are very good for the smaller coils ... The longest one he has doesn't work at maximum extention, because the coilwires don't extent that far ... But they are incredible for getting up under thick Palo Verde, Catclaw, etc. growth .. Small coils complimnet these extended shafts the best .. My first day out with the maximum extended shaft and a small Joey coil netted me a two DWT beauty that more than paid for the extended shaft ... Cheers, Unc

I have both knees in metal now and my right one has a SS rod going down inside the bone too. Lots of metal for sure. I use an extended upper shaft and have minimum issues with any round coil up to 11 inches and when I go to my 17 " elliptical coil I start to hear my knees. It's takes some practice on how to swing the coil especially on side hills but can be done. Larger coils like an 18" are troublesome..... Hope that helps

Thanks for all the replies. I'm only 52 and still have the passion of getting out to hunt that elusive yellow stuff. I love the challenge and love the outdoors.

I was very concerned about the possibility of not being able to continue detecting. Thanks for your advice on ways to adapt,...yet still make it work!!

Hope to see some of you out there when I am mobile enough. I will also make an effort to lurk less and post more. You guys are the greatest.

PS: Frank, I am glad that 3500 has worked out so well for you. I hope you get that recent skunk off your back real soon.

Randy