Dig It or Not To Dig It?

There's a hundred Topics on this Forum about signals your GP/GPX Minelab will give you. It's up to you to dig it or not to dig it! I've heard a many of detectorist say that patch is beat up, all I hear is BB's and 22 bullets. Well that old beat up patch is where a savvy detectorist will find their next nugget(s). Or, you might hear there isn't a target left in that old patch. Again, a very slow swing just may squeeze a nugget out of that patch. This is the case below, a slow swing, is a must to hear them little guys. Just a tad faster and you'll miss the subtle sound. The big nugget was a hot mineralized sound, that I couldn't ground balance out. And I will ground balance right on these spots and circle it before I bust a couple inches of the noisy spot. This hot spot was a winner 15" down and the last 4" in decade bedrock. Had to be on its side to not give a great signal. Careful detecting will produce those stubborn nuggets from their hiding spots, even if they are in the wide open! Dig It, or the next guy just might! Until the next hunt

LuckyLundy

post-10733-0-52895500-1403659546_thumb.j

You're sure right about the pounded patches, Rick ... I beat one patch on Happy Ridge to death, then the nuggets just stopped ... Ten sessions over a few weeks without a single target of any kind ... No bullets, no rust, zip nada ... Then, one afternoon, I came at it from a different angle and hit a dink, then about 3 minutes later, this beautiful half ouncer!!! I've been back at least another 10 times for zip, but alway have hope I'll figure out a new way to look at Happy Ridge!!! ... Cheers, Unc

post-30-0-65372400-1403660130_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-52627500-1403660149_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-22657400-1403660198_thumb.jpg

Then, one afternoon, I came at it from a different angle and hit a dink, then about 3 minutes later, this beautiful half ouncer!

Amazing how you can be just a few inches off on your swing and miss that elusive nugget. Then come back in later and get lucky and swing right over it and the bells and whistles go off.

Personally, if I hit ever hit a patch that gives up a few nuggets, I'm coming back in with a pick, shovel, and dry washer and digging down deeper to do some serious sampling. Finding a patch of nuggets is just scratching the surface, imagine what lurks beneath that's out of the range of your detector. :o

Blackbird,

You really have to know your dirt, or how the gold was deposited in a given patch. I've seen guys hit patches, and bring out the big guns to only waste money on the heavy equipment to move the dirt. Some patches the gold is shallow, some both shallow and deep...it's a tough call To Dig or Not To Dig! There is a patch of gold out there with your name on it

LuckyLundy

Been there myself many times.....worked old patches to death.....cleared it all , no sound..dead silent..where you say to yourself not coming back again...but we do..Right? yup...just in case you missed one...and by gosh....you find one. Than you wonder how the heck did I miss is...been over it many times...its a mystery. Every time I get a new coil, I go back and scan the same old patches...just in case :)