OT: Custom GPS install

I bought a GPS and was trying to find a place to mount it. I wanted something that looked and was as convenient as a factory install but my truck doesn't have a lot of options. Then I started looking at the center air vent space and the GPS unit seemed like it would fit nicely there, but, that would involve hacking out the vents and there was no going back after that.

Well after thinking on it and measuring a half a dozen time I decided to go for it. I think it came out pretty decent. I made the faceplate out of ABS, it needs a little fine tuning. I also might make some channels in there to redirect the air to the sides and cut some vent slots into the faceplate. But it's in there solid and I think in the perfect spot. It's hard wired into switched power so it goes on and off with the key.

Dodge-nav1.jpg

Dodge-nav2.jpg

Nice looking setup there. Only thing that puzzles me... If thats a Garmin Nuvi how would you get access to the on/off button? Also, what do you do when it requires a firmware update and has to be plugged into a computer? Do you have a way to remove it?

As for using it for gold spots, Garmin Nuvi's aren't bad for car use and getting directions but they're probably not the best choice for using in the outdoors.

Nice looking setup there. Only thing that puzzles me... If thats a Garmin Nuvi how would you get access to the on/off button? Also, what do you do when it requires a firmware update and has to be plugged into a computer? Do you have a way to remove it?

As for using it for gold spots, Garmin Nuvi's aren't bad for car use and getting directions but they're probably not the best choice for using in the outdoors.

Yeah, it's a nuvi. I don't need to hit the on/off button, when it's plugged in to switched power and you turn on the ignition or acc it automatically triggers the unit to go on. There is about a 30 second wait where it decides it's not a computer connection but then it goes to regular mode. When you shut the ignition off it asks you if you want to continue in battery mode. The default is no and it shuts down after 30 seconds.

I have it set up to where the faceplate pops off and the unit snaps out of the place it sits so it's totally removable.

And yeah, it's not as good as a hiking gps but it can enter in drivable coordinates like dirt roads to hydraulic pits that I find on google maps and it will show that. I did carry it with within a pit and there wasn't enough detail to make much sense. That's why I decided to just mount this in the truck.

Archived