ML service/repair USA update, Thanks Awout and Minelab.

Hi All

Here is an update on the my GPX 4000 repair. I received a call from the manager of the repair facility in IL. It turns out that the detector is not fried. It does not need a new board, or major repair to the board at all. He told me that there was a mistake and that the switchs will be replaced at no charge and that the detector would be checked out completely. What a major relief. I must say Minelab stepped up and will do what is required and more, to get my detector back asap. I have been on a emotuonal roller coaster that has really been a boomer. I want to thank Minelab for making this right and I am very happy with Awout's(Avout) handling of this unfortunate event. His fast responce has done a lot to restore my confidence and respect for Minelab and their products. I would like to make it clear that Minelab USA is working very hard to improve service and quality of work.

Thank you Awout ,and thank you Minelab.

After a long tough day and evening I had decided to just forgo large repair costs and fall back to my other detectors this year untill I could decide what to do for a main detector. I was thinking wheather to spend over 1100 in repair or if it would be best to just get the 4-6k together and upgrade to 4500 or maybe a 5000. Thank goodness I no longer have to make that decision now. I am very happy with the suport. I am glad, right or wrong, that I elevated this instead of just blindly approving a repair that was not needed.

Thanks to all for their support and friendship.

CH

Awesome. Turns out the problem was actually a loose ribbon connector on the PCB. I called minelab this morning to ask what the situation was with them not having parts for a 4000 because that is the model I will be buying. The gentleman I spoke with knew right away where my concern stemmed from and immediately "set the record straight" with me on the issue, even going as far as saying they were wrong for not doing a thorough inspection before making the call to the poster. AND went on to assure me that minelab will continue to support the 4000 through the year 2016. They do not always have all component parts in stock but can get them from the manufacturing plant in Malaysia.

That actually caught me off guard because I thought minelabs were made in America. Either way, this whole situation has really been a deal-sealer for me with minelab. Can't wait to get my 4000. Glad it all got worked out for ya. Happy hunting.

CH,

Well it still seems they took their sweet time with the good news...I'm glad they are not medical doctors!

LuckyLundy

Well.....I hate to say it but some "MD's" are like that...lol

and i dont mean metal detectors, either :rolleyes::D

Well now, let's play devils advocate for a minute here. What would have happened if this had happened to a newbie for example? Someone who wouldn't know how to go public on all the most popular forums, get reputable dealers involved, make follow up calls, send letters. What if he had just shrugged and said, "Well, ok, if that's what it takes to fix it, then go ahead and I'll pay the $1100". Would Minelab have caught it beforehand? Would someone have notified the poor guy? I glad they caught their mistake and owned up to it. But I wonder if they would if not for all this negative publicity.

Hi All

I just recieved my 4000 from the UPS guy. They had to have shipped it back Over night. I didn't really need it back that quick but is was nice to have it back. I put it back on the shaft, and headed out to make sure it was working. Just like before I sent it in which great. They changed all the switches and they are very nice. The fixit paper work said they changed all the toggles and they did, it is nice to know what mode and which coil you have selected. I am a very happy comper now. :lol:

Keeper Swinging

CH

Hi Bob

I don't know what would be the outcome of that situation. I all most did that very thing myself before I stopped, thought about it, 1100.00 is a lot of money, but it is a lot less than a new ML. When I found out that the tech had not even opened up the box to verify that the reason it would not power up was in fact a dead main card. That is when the red flag went up. So it could have happened to me.

ML did step up when they found out and repaired the switchs and shipped it back in record time. So I'm very happy about that. I would ship to ML USA again if it needed repair again. I think this has improved their service and I'm sure it will not be a problem again.

Keeper Swinging

CH

Digger Bob you have my vote. In addition to that. We all are aware of ML PI detectors are the best in the world. Plus being the most expensive. But it seems unless your detector is under warranty there is always some problem with their repair service. Even if it's just the turnover time factor. Even your GPX5000 will be no longer be under warranty it's just a matter of time.

I have a GP3000 I do some repairs as needed myself fortunately. I just added the gold button. Fisher detectors are warranteed for life. At least the one I have. All their coils are waterproof to over 200 feet. Why doesn't ML follow their footsteps? If Fisher came out with a comprable PI I would definately take a look at it when my ML goes south.

Customer service is an important backbone for any reputable company.

Explorer

Archived