Collectable trash

Hey everyone,

Ever find any discarded miner trash that you thought was cool? I thought I would post a long spoon that I recently found in a dump and then I thought I might as well show some other old miner's tools I found too. I have no idea what the long spoon tool was used for, unless it was a crevice tool. Found a lot of wedges big and small, thought the old tobacco cans used to hold a claim note was a good idea back-in-the-day. What I really think is neat is an old piece of fuse, well I think its fuse any way.

post-20799-0-99450700-1404068557_thumb.j

Not finding any gold the last couple times out and in the need of a fix :blink: . . . I decided I would take a closer look at a couple little rocks that I previously found which showed a little color on the outside. I soaked them for a bit and then picked the rock off. I wish I would of taken some before pics. but all I have are these after clean-up shots. The total weight is 3.1dwt or 4.9g. . .

post-20799-0-31788700-1404068710_thumb.j

Well with all my rock collection now depleted. . . I am really going to have to get after it the next time out.

Stay cool and have a safe summer - Doug

Hey everyone,

Ever find any discarded miner trash that you thought was cool? I thought I would post a long spoon that I recently found in a dump and then I thought I might as well show some other old miner's tools I found too. I have no idea what the long spoon tool was used for, unless it was a crevice tool.

Stay cool and have a safe summer - Doug

Thanks for sharing Doug. Great mining history and those feathers and wedges could still be useful today!

The long spoon was used to clean out a bore hole and then tamp the charge before blasting. That one is in pretty good shape even though the handle was broken off, most of the ones I've found have been rusted away on the end.

Thanks Guys. . .

Chris - Hopefully they were pack-rat teeth marks. Who knows what and how they exactly did stuff back then. Lord knows it wasn't all about safety or procedures and training. I have seen what happens to a loader when the bucket hits a booster in the digface and it's not pretty.

caprock and clay diggins, I like finding the old mining collectables and I really dig when I find out what they were used for. You gentlemen made it happen for me again!!! Thanks