How Far Are You Willing To Go??

I was just wondering how far everyone has to drive or is willing to drive to get to the gold fields? As for me, I have to go about 4.5 hours to get to the Jicarilla area or about 3.5 hours to get to Orogrande, both of these places are in NM. I've been kindasorta dreaming/thinking about heading over to Tucson, about 8 hours away (got a brother there, so lodging would be free) or maybe even over to see Rob, which would be more like 12 hours. Would the longer trips be worth it???

Thanks and HH, ya'll!

Kajun

I was just wondering how far everyone has to drive or is willing to drive to get to the gold fields?  As for me, I have to go about 4.5 hours to get to the Jicarilla area or about 3.5 hours to get to Orogrande, both of these places are in NM.  I've been kindasorta dreaming/thinking about heading over to Tucson, about 8 hours away (got a brother there, so lodging would be free) or maybe even over to see Rob, which would be more like 12 hours.  Would the longer trips be worth it???

Thanks and HH, ya'll!

Kajun

Kajun,

The travel time I think is measured by not the amount of gold found, but the friends you make and the lessons you learn. The gold is the frosting on the cake. I have met and made some very good friends this year and all travel 3-5 hours to get to where I'm mining. What disappointments me is when they spend all day hunting and no gold is found. Thats because I know that there is gold where I'm at and I want them to enjoy finding it also. So to answer your question, meet up with those who know the area you want to prospect and see who wants to go prospecting. As you know, miners fall into 2 groups, friendly and unfriendly. I have over the years have had the honor of meeting the friendly ones.

Bob

Bob, that was a very good answer! Consider finding gold to be a journey, not a destination, kinda sorta, and enjoy the trip.

That kind of thinking opens up all sorts of possibilities for enjoyment, no? For instance, I've put together a recirculating sluice (with the able assistance of a new friend), built a little sampling puffer drywasher (again with tons of input from new friends on some of the forums), bought a Eureka Gold beeper from someone who I hope will become a friend if/when I can ever get over to his area, met a guy up in Jicarilla who has some great stories to tell and the best coffee within 50 miles, etc. Amazing....changing my thinking a little bit seems to make the upcoming 4-5 hour trips rather trivial. Thanks!

HH, ya'll!

Kajun

P.S.

But I'd still like to know how long it takes everyone to get to their gold hunting grounds! LOLOL

Kajun,

I'm sorry about that. I got to writtings and forgot the question. It's 20 miles from my house to the claims. The first 10 miles is paved, as for the last 10 miles, all but 1.2 miles is somewhat of a desent dirt mine road. The las 1.2 miles, well I'm sure you've seen the pictures. A nice rock crawl up the side of a mountain. So if you care to come to So.Ca., let me know and we can plan a 3-7 dayer.

Bob

:blink: Hey guy's,

My last trip was six hours, 21/2 hours of that was getting unstuck in snow :P that was my third attempt at getting there, and have not made it yet... My gear; truck, 3.0 v6, detroit locker in rear, very agresive mud tires, 2 sets heavy duty snow chains, lewis portable winch, hi lift jack, 029 stihl & 372 husqvarna chainsaws, and misc. chain & tow straps ect...

I'm willing :rolleyes:

Ed

Yeah, Ed, your description of your trip was very interesting (remember the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times!"?? LOL)! Heck of a note....you've tried getting to your place 3 times and haven't made it yet. It must be one heck of a place. Hopefully you will be richly rewarded for your persistence!

Bob, thanks for the invite! Who knows when you'll get a PM from me letting you know I'm headed out that way??

I left out part of my reason for asking about how long it takes to get to where you hunt gold! It is directly related to Bob's answer about making new friends and such. My 16' "Golden Falcon" camper is about ready to hit the road behind my little SUV! It can be self contained what with adding a good deep cycle marine battery on it, but I think I'd rather hit an RV park. I used to do a bunch of tent camping in my younger days, but think this is gonna be better, especially at my age! LOL I've heard that RV parks are pretty nice places, and that the social life in the evenings is pretty good, too. Me and Sweetie (my wife) and Bunny (our 9 year old son) are looking forward to getting out of the desert heat down here during the summer, also. So, any advice/warnings/comments about RVing would also be welcome.

Thanks and HH, ya'll!

Kajun

Hi TXKajun,

I sometimes drive 250 to 375 miles to get to a new place or old patch that I want to detect.

I guess I don't really have a real reason except for the old saying, the grass looks greener over the fence.

Its kind of like fishing, you throw your line in and get too looking up and down the creek and start seeing holes that look like they may be a little better, knowing all the time that there are probably just as many fish in your own spot.

Bob T.

:D Hello TXKajun,

Yes I hope & "Persistence", is my middle name;-) been mining same place over twenty years now, and I'm excited to put this GP3500 & Platypus coil to work;-) been practicing 3x wk or more & test beds, "Jim Straight style" with tinies taped on poker chips, and hitting a few old hydrolic sites some good and some full of lead :P

My son is ten years old, he loves prospecting, I bought him a 06 Honda CRF 80, just after my GP purchase from Rob, and he wants to run the dredge this year so he can get a 450 CRF :blink:

Prospecting/Mining's great to share with family & good friends...

Good luck guy's,

Ed