Wave/shaker table

I was looking at a small shaker table for around $1600. There is some really fine gold in the sand/silt/blk sand of the NC rivers.

How do the tables compare to the spiril bowls and other mechanical devices to get the fine stuff? Thanks Wyndham

Wyndham,

I've never used a spiral bowl, but have used shaker(concentration) tables for years in our hardrock mining mill. Like the bowl, water flow, material feed and angle adjustment are a must. Once set up, I believe they are far better then the bowl.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Since I have not worked with a table, is the angle of the table(from horizontal(flat)) pitched downward and tilted left or right so the materials moves which way, toward the wall or to the open end of the riffles. This is a small unit and may not resemble what you use.

Can you get the fines that seem to not placer of a pan but stay in the material that is just ahead of the larger gold that does gather in the pan?

Wyndham

Before you try the shaker table, have you considered a 3 inch piece of ADS drain pipe with some water running down it, commonly known by prospectors as a "poop tube" you can fiddle with the flow of the water from your garden hose at home, and the angle of the tube (glue the tube to a straight piece of wood or whatever) and shake and rock the tube with the riffles and water flowing through it.. It will cost you maybe 5 bucks to make, works great, gets the fine gold you just have to mess with it but that is half the fun. I use a sucker bottle to get the color out. You can use a catch basin and run it. Depends if you have water, how much material you are processing. Don't shaker tables use magnets and copper and mercury too? You can process quite a bit of concentrates with a poop tube.

I have a description of a homemade table that a British geogology group made for the 3rd world but the image was not good enough to figure out what goes where and what angles or tilts.

Before getting into the building of it I was hoping to learn the limits or advantages of the table method.

The unit I saw was based around a hand crank with a 5:1 ratio and could be upgraded to a bicycle or motor giving a 300 rpm cycle. At the end of each cycle there is a inner tube to pull it back to a stop and settle the gold .

Wyndham

Thanks Bob.  Since I have not worked with a table, is the angle of the table(from horizontal(flat)) pitched downward and tilted left or right so the materials moves which way, toward the wall or to the open end of the riffles. This is a small unit and may not resemble what you use.

Can  you get the  fines that seem to not placer of a pan but stay in the material that is just ahead of the larger gold that does gather in the pan?

Wyndham

Wyndham,

Acronn is right about the poop tube concept. Much easier to setup and use. If you are going to be running a very large amount of concentrates, then a shaker table setup with a recycling system would be best. You have to play with the table to get the flow right but ounce its setup your lites and iron will run off while your gold will work its way down the riffles and run off at the far end of the table into a catch basin. Properly set up, the will turn all yellow as you run your material. I'll send you a PM with my phone number. give me a call and I'll be able to explain the table to you better.

Bob