Sacramento area, rec panning?

A friend who knows I have the fever asked if I knew of somewhere in the Sacramento area where he could take his family to do some tourist type gold panning. He has no equipment so would want to rent shovels, classifiers, pans etc and probably some instructions too. He's looking for one of those roadside pay to pan places that would sell you a bucket of soil/concentrate and direct you to a stream where you could pan your way to some color. Any ideas? Thanks...

Be back in a week or so to read/reply....wish us luck!

• 4 weeks later...

There was a guy running a sluice box in the Sac River in at a place called Paradise Beach, I saw him while I was there metal detecting. He said he gets a little color there, he said he just takes the concentrates home and pans em out in front of the TV.

Also if you want equipment the most local place I know of is Pioneer Mining Supplies in Auburn, CA

Hope this helps..............HH ;)

Thanks for the info guys. I've read about stores or tourist stops that will rent you a pan, sell you a bucket of soil and then direct you to a trough or stream where you could do your panning. My friend will be vacatioining in the Sacramento area this summer and wants to find a place like this. He is hoping to give his family a taste of gold prospecting...

Most of the rivers/streams EAST of Sactown that run through the MotherLode country can be panned with no hasssles....IF thats as far as it goes though...anything more than panning and you will draw unwanted attention.If hes a people person and knows the talk he shouldnt have any probs with just a pan.

This one piece (in pic below) was found "hanging" upside down jammed into a single nook or cavity over a bedrock crevice...in 2 feet of water.....NO OVERBURDEN......and was totally exposed to the sunshine when I looked up at it before placing her in my hands.I had walked by this same spot on the river for a whole summer before I actually took the time to put on mask & snorkel.......no equipment needed for her....but I eventually dredged/cleaned the rest out to my amazement of hardly anything covering this crevice!

A day in the sun I will never forget!THIS should provide some influence out there.

BIGFOOT

post-774-1151375279_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob!

........Another priceless tip?.........this piece was not yellow when I found her.......she was a brownish black from iron in solutions making it blend right into the bedrock.Thanks to Iron&Maganese precipitating out of solution out on to the AU surface kept her hidden for who knows how long.I had to drag the tip of my handpick across it first before I just threw it back.

Damned heavy brown rocks!AAAARRRRRRGGGHH! ;)

BIGFOOT

• 1 month later...