Beating the skunk

I've been so busy working and helping my dad out this year that it's been a long while since I've scored a nug. I guess I've only really been out about 4 times since February and I think the last time I scored was when Chris was in town. A long time ago. Anyhow, I got out today with Rod and Scott and was able to score a .6 gram nug on bedrock with my SD2100 on a Minelab 8" mono coil.

Scott had an Eric Foster Goldscan 5. Really neat machine.

post-295-1188787722_thumb.jpg

Hi Ted,

Nice nugget. I'll bet that made your day.

Scott's GS 5 is not complete yet. Right now, it is different than any other GS 5, but it isn't done. I have made a few mods to it and it now has the ability to separate higher conductive coins such as copper and silver coins from all other metal objects. So, it could work quite well for coin hunting even in a ghost town, but would take a little getting used to, sound wise.

The GS 5 has the ability to distinguish a lot of the ferrous junk such as bolts, washers, nails, etc as it comes from the factory. Unfortunately, in its original form, it will not separate tin can signals from gold signals. Like other PI's, that is something that is frustrating since so much of the trash found in gold producing areas are pieces of a tin can.

Well, that will change shortly. Soon, Scott will have a GS 5 that will tell him if it is ferrous, including tin cans or pieces of them. So far, the only thing I have found that I can't distinguish are extremely thin slivers off a dozer push. There may be a very small size piece of a tin can that can't be determined, but what I have tested so far can be and that includes a piece of a can about the size of a quarter.

Once the minor necessary mods are done, he will have about the best discriminating PI available. This will probably change when the PD or the Goldsweeper are available for sale, but until they are available, his will be the best. We just have to get the changes done. If we are lucky, it will only take a minor adjustment and add a switch. At worst, it will take adding one component and the switch that will be used to make a quick check of the buried object.

Reg

Hi Ted,

One thing I forgot to mention was, once the mods are done, testing for ferrous junk will be done by activating a toggle switch. Only iron will cause a positive response. Gold and non ferrous metals such as copper and silver will cause a negative response or no response. I thought of simply inverting the signals, but to be able to separate even the small gold, less than a gram from ferrous junk, it basically has to be done this way.

Now, with a bunch of additional circuitry, I could change signals around, but all that is necessary is to be able to tell the two apart. The iron ID should be able to distinguish whether it is iron or no up to about 80% to 90% of maximum depth of detection.

Reg