Silver uMax living up to its name

I've only had a handful of times to get out and detect for coins in town, but it looks like Banning is starting to give up its silver with my new detector.

The 1911 Barber is in beautiful condition, and its my first! In fact, there is such good detail on the back that one can see the kernels of corn on the back. Found it on the sidewalk easement in front of an old house that is abandoned. It was about 2" deep in very compact, hard dirt. I need to find the owner to get permission to hunt the front, back, and large side yard to see if I can coax anymore coins from that spot.

The Merc and Rosies were found at another old house that was turned into apartments. I found the owner and got permission to hunt the yards before they put in new sod. Found a few wheats too, but no coins older than '36. I noticed that at least 3-4" of newer dirt lay on top of the old, compacted dirt that must have been the original lawn, so I wasn't finding anything deeper than six inches.

Next on my list is to find a walking liberty quarter and a seated dime. That would make me really happy. :)

Ray

post-419-1196466127_thumb.jpg

Thanks Lizardchaser!

I looked up the house where I found the 1911 barber and apparently the house itself was built in 1910. I've got the owners address through public records and am gonna write a letter to see if I can get permission to hunt the yard!

Ray