Hi Everyone. I recently inherited a Whites Coinmaster 4900/D. It works fine as I tested it under the eves of the house and had no problem finding old and not so old shingle nails. I do know that my wifes Stepfather found a 2.5 oz nugget in CA years ago with it. He made a pendent but molted some of it off and drilled a hole in it. Its about 1.75 oz now. Thought I might use it around old homesteads here in West tX since I can't get out to AZ this year to use my ML. Does anyone recall this detector or used one in the past?

Howdy Slim Farris... You have one of White's Goldmaster series.

They were manufactured about 1979 through 1989.

The 4900 was manufactured about 1984 especially for gold

hunting... it is essentually a 6000 without a meter and

tweeked for gold prospecting. It is still a good machine,

analogue, not digital... The last of the analogue series is

the 5900.

It is manually ground balanced. Other than that

is is comparable to more "modern" VLF's.

Enjoy....

Thanks Dutch, I knew it was fairly old but still in good condition. I can download the owners manual from whites. I have a ML 4000 for nugget shooting but thought I might use the Whites around old homesteads and line camps here in West TX. I imagine the mineralization where I hunt nuggets would make it tough to use. Might try it in some of the very trashy washes though.

Don't let the age fool you... Knowlegeable oldtimers are finding gold with them.

They were especially designed for nuggethunting. This is why they do not have

a meter... They can be used for relic hunting and coins... Their frequency is about

6.7; this means they are not sensitive to small specks of gold, but also it means

they should be able to handlev moderate mineralization... One of my hunting buddys

recovered a small nugget about 3-grains on section 17 at Ryepatch while using

the 8-inch coil. It was running smooth and he could distiquish small "Zits" from trash.

Unfortunately today.. oldies that are still goodies are overlooked.

I still have a manual, but would rather keep mine as long as you can download

a copy.

Happy Hunting... Dutch John