Minelab needs a enema!

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

With the news release that Minelab will no longer service/repair 20 of their older model detectors it makes everyone wonder why. They are making some money on repairs for the out of warranty detectors, so why would they make several thousand loyal customers angry with this decision? Some of these detectors like the very popular SD 2100 are still widely used with great success and they are a favorite among a lot of prospectors.

I think they are trying to force the owners of these older detectors to buy new ones, rather than repairing them! Instead of looking out the back window at who's chasing them, Minelab should be looking out the windshield to where they are going.

I think the second reason they have stopped servicing these older detectors is because the repair shop is full of broken GP 4000's and recalled GP 4500's. If the GP 4000 Minelab on/off button fails in the field as it did with me, you will be finished, angry and disappointed. I know that several 4000's on/off buttons have failed in the field and been replaced by Minelab. If this is true, Minelab should have issued a recall like they did on the GP 4500. Minelab should admit that there is a problem and recall them.

It took three trips to the repair shop for Minelab to fix my GP 4000. Before my vaction last summer I sent my 4000 in to Minelab because of the on/off switch problem. While on vacation I noticed the LCD screen was wrinkled and hard to read and after about 10 minutes it would power up and off all by itself, and then it finally quit. Lucky, I had my SD 2100 that saved my vacation. We stopped at Minelab USA on the way home from Montana and aked if they could repair it while we waited in town, and to my pleasure they said they would. It apparently fried the computer when this happened, so they replaced it. I picked it up at the end of the day and headed home with my 4000 on the back seat of my truck. When I got home, eight hours later, to my horror the LCD screen was wrinkled and distorted again worse than before, I called Minelab and they said I'm the only one having a problem and ACCUSED me of purposely doing something to the detector!!!! I said NO I haven't even turned it on! They said to send it back in (third time). Well it turned out the so called technican replaced the computer/LCD screen without removing the clear plactic film on the LCD screen. This clear film protects the LCD screen from scratchs, but it's on the inside of the detector. To fix it the detector has to be taken apart because the clear protective film is on the inside of the screen. That clear plastic film was wrinlking and distorting the read out screen! It took the technican 3 times to figure out to remove the clear protective plastic when he R & R the LCD.

To Minelab's credit, I think they build the best detectors in the world. That's why I have owned seven of them over the years. But if they will no longer support or service their old detectors - I'll take my business elsewhere.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Yea I saw it! Reg doesn't post here anymore because there are to many Minelab lovers that have a different political view.

Hello Reg! :blush: The number of Minelab lovers is changing but we still have the same political view!.