Sharing your valuable knowledge & extending enjoyment of your claims

Hi Nugget Hunting Forum friends.... below is a post that I put up on another forum in response to a person who was talking about his age and getting down to his claims... after writing this response, I felt it may be a good post for here as well.

Hi guys (and gals if there are any here)

These type of situations seem to me a perfect opportunity to help bring younger or less experienced folks into the hobby. I know that I am totally new to all this and have tons of questions about what kind of dirt to spend time on, how to set up the right angle/flow on my high banker, what different type of bedrock are best, etc etc...... I think all of you who call yourselves "Geezers" are doing yourselves a huge disservice and should recognize just how valuable the knowledge that you possess is. In the Amateur/Ham radio hobby, we have what are called "Elmer's", they're basically "Mentors" and are described as follows:

----------------

Origin of the term "Elmer"

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio." While he probably was not trying to coin a term at the time, here's how Newkirk introduced "Elmer" in his column and, as it turned out, to the rest of the Amateur Radio world:

"Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell: 'Oh, I almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind of lost interest.'"

Newkirk went on to say, "We need those Elmers. All the Elmers, including the ham who took the most time and trouble to give you a push toward your license, are the birds who keep this great game young and fresh."--Rick Lindquist, N1RL

----------------

Note: When they say "ticket" above, they are referring to "ham license".

Elmer's are an irreplaceable resource to our (Ham/Amateur Radio) community and are critical to keeping the hobby alive, especially with all the other distractions that exist today that are much less work (Internet, Video Games, iPhones etc).

I feel that if more of those who feel they have the knowledge to do so, offered to "Elmer" those of us who don't, evangelized the hobby etc it would be mutually beneficial for everyone. When I've had someone who considered themselves acting as my Elmer, it was good for both of us, I assisted when he needed work that he was not comfortable doing due to age (tower work for his antennas etc) and he shared his knowledge and experience that I would have spent a lifetime learning if I ever did learn it.

Elmer Links:

http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2004/12/17/1/

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/mentor/

Sorry for babbling, but I hear people on several boards saying "my days are numbered, I'm too old" etc and even selling off equipment at dirt cheap prices and you can hear the depression and sadness in their ads. If there was a claim that I knew someone loved working but was not comfortable going alone or carrying his/her equipment, shoveling etc.. I would gladly offer to exchange the shoveling, carrying etc in return for the knowledge learned from spending a day with years of experience. You've all heard of Big Brothers and Big Sisters.. well how about "Big Grampa's" or "Big Gramma's" (not that I'm implying you have to be over a certain age) ;) Don't go selling a claim or claims that you love without reaching out to offer your knowledge.... I've lost both my Gramma and Grampa and it happened very shortly after they stopped doing things they loved (driving, getting out etc)... that time alongside the creek or the exercise it took to get there may be the reason some of us are still alive.

Please remember guys (and gals if there are any others on here), please don't be afraid to offer to trade your knowledge for someone's physical labor, muscles or just the feeling of safety by having another person with you..... until you're in a wheelchair, there's no need to give up something you love... and you have SO much to offer us newbies who know NOTHING about this in comparison..... helping move rocks or swing a shovel is grunt work, you're the ones with all of the 'valuable' knowledge to offer in exchange. :)

Now... to those of you who saw my wheelchair comment and thought that was an excuse, check this out:

Jennifer

Hi Nugget Hunting Forum friends.... below is a post that I put up on another forum in response to a person who was talking about his age and getting down to his claims... after writing this response, I felt it may be a good post for here as well.

Hi guys (and gals if there are any here)

These type of situations seem to me a perfect opportunity to help bring younger or less experienced folks into the hobby. I know that I am totally new to all this and have tons of questions about what kind of dirt to spend time on, how to set up the right angle/flow on my high banker, what different type of bedrock are best, etc etc...... I think all of you who call yourselves "Geezers" are doing yourselves a huge disservice and should recognize just how valuable the knowledge that you possess is. In the Amateur/Ham radio hobby, we have what are called "Elmer's", they're basically "Mentors" and are described as follows:

Jennifer

Someone on one of my other posts provided this gem as an option... <cracked me up>

Tank Chair