Topo software and GPS units

I like to use my laptop for real-time tracking on 7.5 min USGS topo maps while Iam driving to a new location. But recently Iam getting into neighboring states and the individual state map sets are getting pricey. So Iam considering getting TopoUSA software.

Just wondering what you guys use for multi-state topo software, and what GPS handheld units you are using in conjunction with it?

Need to make a decision soon....so knowing who is happy with their software and gps packages would be helpful in decision making.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, It would help to know what brand of GPSr you have. If you have a Garmin, they make 7.5 min maps for Mapsource. They are the 24k West and 24k Southwest maps. Also, gpsfiledepot has free 24k maps that load into Mapsource, then send them to a Garmin GPSr. They use a lot of memory so the Garmin Map60, 76, 300/400, and x50 series are recommended as they have lots of memory. Or any Garmin that uses a microSD card. Hope that helps a little.

Goldbug Ron

GB Ron. I currently don't have a good handheld GPS. I use MapTech Terrain Navigator and my laptop to navigate in my truck. Planning ahead for the day when I have a quad and can go really off road. Iam partial to Garmin. I have an old GPS-V and a Nuvi. Would you recommend a newer Garmin model to consider?

That GPSfiledepot site is mind blowing...and free. Iam definitely spending some time there :) Thanks.

Googled "free 7.5 topos" Lots of hits. Now that's an eye opener :)

Thanks nvchris

Just last night I ordered the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx and the SD card for it.

I finally settled on it because it had the card slot and color screen and 25 hour battery life.

I read a lot of reviews on it and quite a few commented on the long battery life.

I did not need the altimeter and electronic compass of the next higher priced model.

I'll post on results after I use it a while.

LeRoy

Leroy. Will surely be interested in your opinion on the HCx. Im leaning toward Garmin myself these days. :)

Just last night I ordered the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx and the SD card for it.

I finally settled on it because it had the card slot and color screen and 25 hour battery life.

I read a lot of reviews on it and quite a few commented on the long battery life.

I did not need the altimeter and electronic compass of the next higher priced model.

I'll post on results after I use it a while.

LeRoy