White’s GMT Metal Detector

Welcome dfrx86...

Warnings or opinions?... The GMT was first introduced at the Mesa GPAA Gold Show in February 2001. In late 2003 I borrowed one to trace out dense black sand readings at Sawtooth Knob in northern Nevada. I chose the MXT as it had a digital bar graph with additional fratures that were not available in the earlier series

of Gold Masters. I also chose Saw Tooth Knob as I once lived in Lovelock during the 1950's and drywashed there.

The Knob is a broad pediment with bedrock maybe(?) about

18-inches. There seems to be channels that are

"paystreaks."

By paystreak, I simply mean concentations of

"stringers" (for want of a better term)) consisting of heavier "black sand" known as "mafic" alluvium.

The "stingers" or possible paystreaks, contain a larger proportion of magnesium, iron,and calcium-plagioclase.

They can also be enriched in a concentration of placer gold.

The meter head of the GMT has a "probability of iron" meter and also refers to the ground balance (mineral type) and Follow Black Sand (amount of mineralization).

The GMT operates at a fixed 48 kHz, and is intended to be a gold-specific detector. Thus it can be used as a prospecting tool for seeking black sand concentrations.

Also as do all of the earlier goldmasters, it follows the tradition of being able to mine the small "specks" and nuggets.

I own 3 detectors ,a GMT ,MXT and a Minelab 4500. Each has its purpose.the GMT is great for very small (or big) Gold, and its very quiet when detecting next to others with an MXT as they don't cross talk.The MXT will find gold also but the GMT finds the smaller pieces.Good luck, Dave

I own 3 detectors ,a GMT ,MXT and a Minelab 4500. Each has its purpose.the GMT is great for very small (or big) Gold, and its very quiet when detecting next to others with an MXT as they don't cross talk.The MXT will find gold also but the GMT finds the smaller pieces.Good luck, Dave

Hey Dutch John. Would the Gmt work in the South side of Randsburg to find gold mixed in black sand. Or are the so called stringers not associated with black sand there ? If you know.

I had a suggestion from somebody, that suggested dragging a magnet , frequently looking for larger pieces of b/s and higher concentrations.

Ebbonbetta... I believe I know the area you are referring to. The stringer has been well drywashed. As best I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when Glamis was actively heapleaching they also leased most of the greater area (as a buffer zone). By about 2003 they stated reclamation which was pretty much

competed by 2005 and the leases were discontinued.

During this period there was activity going on within the leased grounf within this area. There may have been at least one (I find this impressive as he was on a disability) person using a Keene 151 and a gas rototiller to process an amazing amount of material.

On my way to another area I would stop by and give him a "howdy" as I was concerned about him. One day I spent about an hour just watching his "how-to." He was really "doing it right." He was using a detector to trace out shallow concentrations of black sand within the top foot of dirt.

Actually about any older VLF in the non-autotune mode will trace out iron oxides (Black magnetic sands) that can also contain a concentation of placer.

This was about eight or more years ago. Glamis is gone, the area

is now actively claimed, and the last time I was there, there was (now about two years ago) a "caretaker" running around chasing everyone off claiming he represented a company thatowned all of the area. (Hey... I do not argue... I just moved on).

The detector that was being used was not a GMT, it could have been a GM/b as any older VLF/TR detector can be used. All that was necessary was to find the null point with a ferrite sample.

As an example there is a thread with photos on the Garrett Gold Stinger findmall forum about this while using a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger.

www.findmall.com/read.php?70,1193036,1193036

Hello D/John,

Sounds like you know the place. I've been working mostly piles that were removed from what is now a ravine. My first question is that these piles most likely cover virgin dirt. Yeah, it's a hell of alot of dirt to move but when I'm there I got nada but time. I actually prefer drywashing to detecting. I do know everywhere I've drywasher I can pull some grains each day. No worse than detecting at a park each day. But more guaranteed I'll get $5 a day.

I stay near the south/west side of the club claim which puts me south of the rode. And I know whom the caretaker you mean is. I've heard more rumors about 49'ers running people off with guns.

Me Nobody has ever bothered me there.

Maybe because I have a bag target set up and spend a few hours each day when I'm there putting arrows in the target.

Hey do not knock us disabled people.

Ebbonbetta... Recovering some placer gold each day sure adds up. There could also be some scheelite as placer too, so save your concentates until checked under a shortwave blacklamp. Also I apologise about mentioning my friend as being on a disability. This gave him the time and money to enjoy whatever he wanted to do.

drfx86... Back to "Opinions"... While out prospecting a pediment for placer gold, the GMT is one of many VLF's that can be used to trace shalow black sand stringer "paystreaks." However not all black sand stingers carry] enough placer to be worthwhile. This is why it is called prospecting. However the GMT has the ability to follow shallow black sand concentrations. Also, since it is the end-run of the goldmaster VLF-series and considered as a "gold only" and not a "do-all" at 48kHz it is also capable of finding shallow sub-grain "specks" as well as larger nuggets.

It's ok Dutch John. I just get a little bugged buy the conservatives on my archery forum. I am disabled and if I couldn't spend fulltiming in the rv I surely wouldn't be able to drywash. I cannot afford drive 75 miles to make $5. I would not be here caring for my mom if i wasn't disabled. So I guess there was a plan.

Ebbonbetta... I believe I know the area you are referring to. The stringer has been well drywashed. As best I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when Glamis was actively heapleaching they also leased most of the greater area (as a buffer zone). By about 2003 they stated reclamation which was pretty much

competed by 2005 and the leases were discontinued.

During this period there was activity going on within the leased grounf within this area. There may have been at least one (I find this impressive as he was on a disability) person using a Keene 151 and a gas rototiller to process an amazing amount of material.

On my way to another area I would stop by and give him a "howdy" as I was concerned about him. One day I spent about an hour just watching his "how-to." He was really "doing it right." He was using a detector to trace out shallow concentrations of black sand within the top foot of dirt.

Actually about any older VLF in the non-autotune mode will trace out iron oxides (Black magnetic sands) that can also contain a concentation of placer.

This was about eight or more years ago. Glamis is gone, the area

is now actively claimed, and the last time I was there, there was (now about two years ago) a "caretaker" running around chasing everyone off claiming he represented a company thatowned all of the area. (Hey... I do not argue... I just moved on).

The detector that was being used was not a GMT, it could have been a GM/b as any older VLF/TR detector can be used. All that was necessary was to find the null point with a ferrite sample.

As an example there is a thread with photos on the Garrett Gold Stinger findmall forum about this while using a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger.

www.findmall.com/read.php?70,1193036,1193036

not "caretaker" just helping out and i do know the people that own the property if you want to buy. but you people don't have the money to buy the land so you have come in and steal the gold. after 3 yrs. of lies about me I I'M PISSED!!!!!!!

not "caretaker" just helping out and i do know the people that own the property if you want to buy. but you people don't have the money to buy the land so you have come in and steal the gold. after 3 yrs. of lies about me I I'M PISSED!!!!!!!

I think your reading a lot more into this than I'm asking here Indsloan. My question about stringers is a general question based on references I read about the area from another site on the net. As for coming in stealing anything I detect ans drywash fully on the avt claim south of the roadway. Why that pisses you off I have no clue you had no interests when we spoke in person if your todd. This is my rv though not at avt claim.

post-28289-12754541357_thumb.jpg