I need help! I have been looking at buying a metal detector and I would like some advice. I am interested in gold prospecting. I live in Western Montana and plan to use it in this area. I am concerned about the over burden in this area. I am hoping to be able to find areas with exposed bed rock. I would like to keep the price around $1000. I have joined a couple of forums and have been trying to learn as much as I can about the deferent detectors. It seems like most people would recommend a PI detector over a VLF. Some people recommend buying a PI detector used. I have a hard time with spending that kind of money on used electronics with no warranty. I would appreciate any advice, comments, or suggestions.

Thanks for your help. Michael

That’s just it Lundy, I have never detected before. So, I have no idea what I am going to find for ground conditions. I live in a forested area and pretty sure that there is quite a bit of overburden. I am hoping that I could find areas that the rocks have trapped some gold, or dig down a few inches in areas that the run off water may have slowed. To be honest, I am not holding my breath that I am going to find much. It is the hunt and being out in God’s country that I am excited about. I have tried to look into metal detecting clubs in my area, but I have not found any. So, if anyone knows of one in the Missoula, MT area let me know. I would also like to meet anyone in my area. Thanks Michael