Brass Shotgun Shell

I was detecting last weekend in the Stanton , Arizona area. I dug up what looked like a piece of copper trash. After it was cleaned up, it was one piece of brass from the primer to the area that is crimped on the plastic ones you see used today .Anyone found this type of casing before??

Highbanker, I have found one of those but not detecting, it was on a construction site here in Prescott. I have also found a few old bottels around town. I wish I was more into detecting when they replaced all the downtown side walks in Prescott. Some of the piles of dirt had lots of things of interest in them.

Bunk

• 2 months later...

Highbanker and Bunk... :) Full brass shotgun casings go back as late as WW-2. I remember as a kid back in the 1930's, my dad's mining partner, Joe Powers, had a box of 12 guage brass shells. They were a special buy as they could be reloaded. Just a few days ago while out nugget shooting in Randsburg I found one. "W.R.A. Co. No 12. RIVAL." The sides were crushed and broken.

Highbanker and Bunk... :) Full brass shotgun casings go back as late as WW-2. I remember as a kid back in the 1930's, my dad's mining partner, Joe Powers, had a box of 12 guage brass shells. They were a special buy as they could be reloaded. Just a few days ago while out nugget shooting in Randsburg I found one. "W.R.A. Co. No 12. RIVAL." The sides were crushed and broken.

if ya dont mind some company the next time your out prospecting in randsberg, i would like to meet up with you and learn from you.i was just out there the other day, waiting for some clear weather and ill be back at it. almost went today, but due to the rain and floods here in bakersfield, i had alot of work to do out back today.lol

john

Gosh John... my Bad... I live in Rialto and it has been mostly either windy or raining here. Cajon Pass is a tough one for me... Several times I start going up, but turn back... A bad acident, heavy rain and even fog... But several times I have followed trucks that are going slow in the truck lane with their bright emergency lights flashing... then within a mile over the pass; sunlight all the way to the Randsburg/El Paso/Summit extended gold fields... The back home before sunset..

Short of time; I usually meet Sandtrap and Richard... but no time (My Bad!) to spare as I'm doing my level best to find gold with the detector I'm currently playing with...

However John... You are doing pretty good in the area you are hunting. Continue to use the area where you found the last two nuggets as your focal point. Try gridding and go slow... be positive, there are more to be found...

By the way my last time out; I was in the Rand Schist, just out of the boundary of the rocks colored pale red. It was here I found the full brass 12 ga shotgun case, plus old tin cans with solder seams.

If you see any "eriogonum inflanum" Trumpet plants that happen to be near highpower lines that you can work without electical intereference or any roadgrader burms along a gravel road or exposed caliche or schist bedrock at an angle give it a "go." Good Luck... :)

Archived