Scary Find

Well I got the headphones plugged into the Gold Bug 2 and headed out Saturday with my father-in-law to try and dig up a few nuggets. He is still looking for that first one. It was a beautiful day and we each headed off in separate directions. I was heading up a draw practicing my skills on digging hot rocks (getting pretty good) when I saw my father-in-law coming up the draw toward me. He told me he had seen a mountain lion. It was laying dead against a tree. He had come right up on it while detecting. It was a big and healthy (except for being dead) looking cat. He hadn't been dead long (maybe a couple of days). We rolled him over looking for a bullet hole, but could find none. After some more investigation around the area we found some piled brush in the shape of a cave and chicken feathers. We found one more piled brush area and more feathers. Now the part that is scary is I was out there not long before with my three year old son. I decided to take him out detecting with me while the five year old was in school. We were at the same place. He started out with me digging targets, but soon got bored. So he went off to play in the mud. I didn't have the head phones on so that I could hear him and talk to him. We were only about 250 feet from where we found the cat a day later and about 150 feet or less from the traps. I have worked in the woods for quite awhile and have never been overly concerned with the threat of mountain lions. I know they are there, and respect what they can do, but also realize for the most part they will stay away from people. I actually got more concerned with the bears. A few places I worked were infested with the beasts. Anyway, thinking of my son sitting there playing while I was detecting is giving me nightmares. I will not be taking the boys to that area (too remote)anymore. And when I do take them with me they will be right with me.

Scary story indeed! I want to be sure I understand though - somebody baited the lion with poisoned chickens? - Terry

Well Terry, I couldn't say for sure, but there was no other evidence of steel traps located. I don't know what else it could have been. However, a portion of both front paws was missing like it had been caught in a trap in the past (no new blood). It appears maybe someone had been after this one for a while. It is located about three miles as the crow flies from ranches and livestock. Seems kinda far to set traps though.

Well Terry, I couldn't say for sure, but there was no other evidence of steel traps located. I don't know what else it could have been. However, a portion of both front paws was missing like it had been caught in a trap in the past (no new blood). It appears maybe someone had been after this one for a while. It is located about three miles as the crow flies from ranches and livestock. Seems kinda far to set traps though.

We often forget that the land is WILD. And we are just guests here on this planet.

The nature of the big cats is to pick off the weak and the small.

Thats means KIDS and elderly or injured.

And They do not avoid man like many think.

They avoid groups and situations they have no advantage in.

They are predators and will defend themselves. A few years ago in Ca. a woman was attacked running through a wildlife area because she had headphones on and had no clue that the cat was there.

People need to observe more and be aware in THEIR (the big cats home)home.

While the ranger station in Jawbone canyon, Ca says there are no mountain lions in the area I disagree. I've seen the footprints in mud over in RANDSBURG. SO be aware. They are there. AS Well as the MT areas above los angelos and most ares of the south west.

rancid

Very upsetting in two ways. You and yours were very close to a possible dying big cat. Poachers are also at times very scary too. Personally I'd give the coordinates to your closest CDFG warden. Let them check it out and keep everyone safe in the area.

My 2 cents

New Beeper

We often forget that the land is WILD. And we are just guests here on this planet.

The nature of the big cats is to pick off the weak and the small.

Thats means KIDS and elderly or injured.

And They do not avoid man like many think.

They avoid groups and situations they have no advantage in.

They are predators and will defend themselves. A few years ago in Ca. a woman was attacked running through a wildlife area because she had headphones on and had no clue that the cat was there.

People need to observe more and be aware in THEIR (the big cats home)home.

While the ranger station in Jawbone canyon, Ca says there are no mountain lions in the area I disagree. I've seen the footprints in mud over in RANDSBURG. SO be aware. They are there. AS Well as the MT areas above los angelos and most ares of the south west.

I agree with you, two years ago, I was riding my quad in the El Paso's area and found an adit, I stopped to look inside but before I got to the entrance I noticed paw prints in the dirt coming out of it. Since I didn't have my pistol with (like it would have helped much other than peace of mind) I got back on my quad and kept going. I didn't need to look inside THAT bad. I remember a friend telling me about a cougar watching him on the north side of the El Paso's as he was dry washing in the past. They are out there, so keep your eyes open. Better safe than sorry.

sourdough

It's too bad dead cats can't talk. It could have been killed by rabies or some other disease. Are you certain the feathers were from chickens?

I am not 100% positive they were from chicken, but my father-in-law saw string tied to one of the feathers. I do have some friends with the DFG so I think I may ask if the state trapper has been working in the area.

I agree with you, two years ago, I was riding my quad in the El Paso's area and found an adit, I stopped to look inside but before I got to the entrance I noticed paw prints in the dirt coming out of it. Since I didn't have my pistol with (like it would have helped much other than peace of mind) I got back on my quad and kept going. I didn't need to look inside THAT bad. I remember a friend telling me about a cougar watching him on the north side of the El Paso's as he was dry washing in the past. They are out there, so keep your eyes open. Better safe than sorry.

sourdough

The area we live in seems to have quite a few of the big cats around. I personally have not seen them, but have spoke to those that have. When we first moved to our current home an old guy that lived up the gulch near me that I have know since I was a little boy had five sets of lion tracks at the spring outside his house at the same time. He decided it would be best to keep his goat in the barn. The next morning the goat was dead. The cat had to jump through a window about 10 feet up to get to it. Without going into detail that was the worst thing that cougar could have done. They are out there (and a lot more than people think)and I will be keeping my eyes open.

The area we live in seems to have quite a few of the big cats around. I personally have not seen them, but have spoke to those that have. When we first moved to our current home an old guy that lived up the gulch near me that I have know since I was a little boy had five sets of lion tracks at the spring outside his house at the same time. He decided it would be best to keep his goat in the barn. The next morning the goat was dead. The cat had to jump through a window about 10 feet up to get to it. Without going into detail that was the worst thing that cougar could have done. They are out there (and a lot more than people think)and I will be keeping my eyes open.

1 yes they are out there

2 ca does not hunt cougar..So they have No planned cougar control in place until one becomes a problem

Such as attacking hikers or children...which is a little late in my opinion.

Archived