Az. Nugget Hunting

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could tell me of any public lands open to nugget hunting where the odds are, at the least, decent for finding nuggets? I read posts on here all the time about people finding them in Az., but obviously no location names given in most cases. I do not get to Arizona all that often, in fact I have been to Az. once in the past 13 years, so paying several hundred dollars for a club membership is really not a smart financial investment for me. I would like to have a place to go and do some hunting maybe once or twice a year at most. I am just not in a financial position to be able to afford numerous trips to Az. a year right now. That may change in the future, and if and when it does, I will certainly be looking to join some clubs.

When I first started prospecting 2 months ago, I figured I would go out and find a bunch of gold (not right away, of course) and eventually sell it off. Now, after finding my first nugget and attending the last two GPAA Gold Shows, I have realized that the nuggets I find will all be saved and displayed in gem jars. There is just something about the way they look in a full display case that really tickles my fancy.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chippewa Falls, Arizona has all the gold in it... :ph34r:

My advise.....FootPrints.

AZ....can you give me a rough idea of where Chippewa Falls is located in AZ? I did a search for it on the net and all I got was Chippewa Falls retaurant in Wisconsin....lol. Thanks.

AZ....can you give me a rough idea of where Chippewa Falls is located in AZ? I did a search for it on the net and all I got was Chippewa Falls retaurant in Wisconsin....lol. Thanks.

Hi Chris! When I was first in the Army, an NCO sent me down to the motor pool to get a "Hand-pound" wrench, nomenclature number IDHAC-C1-AH. Sometimes it takes a while to know when someone is pulling your chain. There is no person in their right mind that is going to turn you on to a nugget patch. Do some research, buy a book, make some friends, pay your dues - just like the rest of us. - Terry

Chris- where are you?

We'll try to help you with local spots once we know where you are :)

Thank you, Kelly! I am in Barstow, Ca. I appreciate the help. :D

Hi Chris! When I was first in the Army, an NCO sent me down to the motor pool to get a "Hand-pound" wrench, nomenclature number IDHAC-C1-AH. Sometimes it takes a while to know when someone is pulling your chain. There is no person in their right mind that is going to turn you on to a nugget patch. Do some research, buy a book, make some friends, pay your dues - just like the rest of us. - Terry

Hi Terry,

With all due respect, sir, contrary to popular belief, I am not asking to be placed on top of a "nugget patch". I just don't want to waste my time by driving 6-10 hours to end up somewhere and have no idea if I am claim-jumping or detecting on land the state doesn't want me on. It's not like I am asking for gps coordinates to a particular spot full of gold. Just get me within a square mile radius and I'll do the rest. I have been trying to get hold of several different clubs in the area to join (e.g. Weaver Mining District, Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club, and others) but after leaving messages and emails I have yet to receive a response.

I have no problem "paying my dues" and making some friends. To me, the making of new friends in most cases is worth more than any gold I could possibly find. I have read MANY books and thousands of posts on numerous forums, however, most of those books are outdated by several years and God knows how many new claims etc. have been staked on land mentioned in the text. Unfortunately I am not "loaded" and cannot afford to make numerous trips to another state several times a year. I apologize if it seemed like I was asking for a handout. That was not my intention. Thank you for you response. :)

Hey Chris,

Barstow, has some gold spots, just google search placer gold barstow, CA. Even not to far is 29 palms. That should get you within your 1 square mile search area. If you want to know if your trespassing on someone's claim you will need to make a trip to your local BLM land office, and inquire about the area you are hunting.

Good Luck, and if you do find something post some pics...

Dave

Chris- Have you read Chris Ralph's new book "Fists Full of Gold"? That would be a great place to start with the general knowledge Terry was referring to. I just drove all the way to Placerville, Ca from Phoenix, Az. for the forum that Chris Ralph and the ICMJ are putting on this weekend .They are having 2 days of classes. Be there if you can, you will meet people from all over the country,get to know them and you will be amazed at the info. you will pick up. Hope to see you there.I have a booth there selling T-shirts. Dave

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could tell me of any public lands open to nugget hunting where the odds are, at the least, decent for finding nuggets? I read posts on here all the time about people finding them in Az., but obviously no location names given in most cases. I do not get to Arizona all that often, in fact I have been to Az. once in the past 13 years, so paying several hundred dollars for a club membership is really not a smart financial investment for me. I would like to have a place to go and do some hunting maybe once or twice a year at most. I am just not in a financial position to be able to afford numerous trips to Az. a year right now. That may change in the future, and if and when it does, I will certainly be looking to join some clubs.

When I first started prospecting 2 months ago, I figured I would go out and find a bunch of gold (not right away, of course) and eventually sell it off. Now, after finding my first nugget and attending the last two GPAA Gold Shows, I have realized that the nuggets I find will all be saved and displayed in gem jars. There is just something about the way they look in a full display case that really tickles my fancy.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

quartzsite az has a metal detecting club. its only $20 a yr. thats very cheap. i just joined and spent couple days there. bought pops a goldbug pro and both of us a membership. we didnt find any gold, but had great time.there is gold there. if ya read all the post in the past youll see gold thats been found there. also, right by randsburg, close to you is awesome areas.there are alot of clubs with claims there. you should get more replies commin at ya. most guys here are very helpful.they wont give ya the patches, but will give ya certain areas where to basically go.just remember to look for claim markers. most active claims will be marked.i would highly recommend jim straights book, "three hours to gold" its all about the rands area and places close to you. very good book and author.actually buy all his books. you def will learn something and they are worth every penny.

john

Hi Terry,

With all due respect, sir, contrary to popular belief, I am not asking to be placed on top of a "nugget patch". I just don't want to waste my time by driving 6-10 hours to end up somewhere and have no idea if I am claim-jumping or detecting on land the state doesn't want me on. It's not like I am asking for gps coordinates to a particular spot full of gold. Just get me within a square mile radius and I'll do the rest. I have been trying to get hold of several different clubs in the area to join (e.g. Weaver Mining District, Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club, and others) but after leaving messages and emails I have yet to receive a response.

I have no problem "paying my dues" and making some friends. To me, the making of new friends in most cases is worth more than any gold I could possibly find. I have read MANY books and thousands of posts on numerous forums, however, most of those books are outdated by several years and God knows how many new claims etc. have been staked on land mentioned in the text. Unfortunately I am not "loaded" and cannot afford to make numerous trips to another state several times a year. I apologize if it seemed like I was asking for a handout. That was not my intention. Thank you for you response. :)

OK Chris, I apologize as well! Looks like you are on the way to making those new friends - me included! I still think a local club is going to be your best bet, and yes, pick up Chris Ralph's book, Fists full of Gold! - Terry

In the Coolgardie area, not too far from Barstow, there's lots of placer area and the GPAA, plus maybe others, have a number of claims...I've heard there's good gold there, but have personally never been there...Google it and you'll see ... Cheers, Unc

Here ya' go: You're Welcome, Unc

Mining History: Desert Fever

San Bernardino County: Coolgardie

About May, 1900, placer gold was discovered in shallow gravel 20 miles north of Barstow by Dick Duncan. Duncan was one of the co-discoverers of gold at Kramer about this same time. He named his discovery the Black Nugget after a famous mine in South Africa. Another claim, the Coolgardie, was named after a famous Australian gold camp. In August, 1900, ten men were operating 2 dry-placer machines at Black Nugget Camp, and the Engineering and Mining Journal reported that, “The whole country is said to be located from Coolgardie to Lane's mill, both west and south of Camp Vera.” 277

Dry-placer machines do not work with wet sand, thus during the winter of 1900-1901, the camp was shut down. In June, 1901, they began again. Northing more is heard from the placers at Coolgardie until 1908. In October, the Coolgardie Mining Company, which had devised a dry washer capable of treating 100 tons of gravel a day, was working here. In 1909, Coolgardie was described as “a small mining settlement, the cabins of the miners scattered over several square miles of dry-placer workings.” In 1911, it was stated $100,000 in gold had been taken from the rich placers at Coolgardie. 278

Reference was made above to Lane's Mill, and Camp Vera. Lane's Mill, located at Lane's Well (now known as Noble Well), is at best vaguely described. In 1909 Lane's Mill was still standing, and a photo shows several structures. A description of the well in 1917 fails to mention the mill. It is not known what mines supported this mill. 279

The Camp Vera group of claims were 6 mines northeast of Lane's Mill. At this copper mine, owned by W. J. Rodgers, there were 20 shafts from 10 to 60 feet deep. There is no record of mining at this mine since 1902. 280

Just 3 miles north of Lane's Well (and one and a half miles north of William's Well), M. J. Smith (see Old Woman Mountains section) discovered the First Chance Mine in 1906. This mine, also known as the Golden Eagle, was worked by Smith through 1911, and in November, 1913, there was a 12 by 24 foot building, arrastre and blacksmith shop on the property. Reportedly, $3,000 in gold was taken from here. 281

William's Well, not far from Coolgardie, was the site of a placer operation that had probably been going on since the excitement in 1900. In 1910, four men were working the gravel there and making good wages. This well probably was dug in late 1909 by M. W. H. Williams, a resident of Redlands since about 1898. He and his associates spent a number of months in 1909 examining mining property north of Barstow. By digging the well, they enabled many new prospectors to work near there, since water was scarce. The dry placer operations are still worked from time to time. 282

Here ya' go: You're Welcome, Unc

Mining History: Desert Fever

San Bernardino County: Coolgardie

About May, 1900, placer gold was discovered in shallow gravel 20 miles north of Barstow by Dick Duncan. Duncan was one of the co-discoverers of gold at Kramer about this same time. He named his discovery the Black Nugget after a famous mine in South Africa. Another claim, the Coolgardie, was named after a famous Australian gold camp. In August, 1900, ten men were operating 2 dry-placer machines at Black Nugget Camp, and the Engineering and Mining Journal reported that, “The whole country is said to be located from Coolgardie to Lane's mill, both west and south of Camp Vera.” 277

Dry-placer machines do not work with wet sand, thus during the winter of 1900-1901, the camp was shut down. In June, 1901, they began again. Northing more is heard from the placers at Coolgardie until 1908. In October, the Coolgardie Mining Company, which had devised a dry washer capable of treating 100 tons of gravel a day, was working here. In 1909, Coolgardie was described as “a small mining settlement, the cabins of the miners scattered over several square miles of dry-placer workings.” In 1911, it was stated $100,000 in gold had been taken from the rich placers at Coolgardie. 278

Reference was made above to Lane's Mill, and Camp Vera. Lane's Mill, located at Lane's Well (now known as Noble Well), is at best vaguely described. In 1909 Lane's Mill was still standing, and a photo shows several structures. A description of the well in 1917 fails to mention the mill. It is not known what mines supported this mill. 279

The Camp Vera group of claims were 6 mines northeast of Lane's Mill. At this copper mine, owned by W. J. Rodgers, there were 20 shafts from 10 to 60 feet deep. There is no record of mining at this mine since 1902. 280

Just 3 miles north of Lane's Well (and one and a half miles north of William's Well), M. J. Smith (see Old Woman Mountains section) discovered the First Chance Mine in 1906. This mine, also known as the Golden Eagle, was worked by Smith through 1911, and in November, 1913, there was a 12 by 24 foot building, arrastre and blacksmith shop on the property. Reportedly, $3,000 in gold was taken from here. 281

William's Well, not far from Coolgardie, was the site of a placer operation that had probably been going on since the excitement in 1900. In 1910, four men were working the gravel there and making good wages. This well probably was dug in late 1909 by M. W. H. Williams, a resident of Redlands since about 1898. He and his associates spent a number of months in 1909 examining mining property north of Barstow. By digging the well, they enabled many new prospectors to work near there, since water was scarce. The dry placer operations are still worked from time to time. 282

Hi Unc,

Thanks so much for the post. Coolgardie does have some decent gold in it, but I have never found anything to get excited about on the GPAA claims in that area. I have, however, found good gold on some of the club claims that I am a member of in Coolgardie. I am a member of several different clubs here in Southern California so my drywashing and detecting trips are covered for here. Just wanted to have some places to hit in another state so I could "expand my horizons". There have not been many nuggets found in the Coolgardie area, which is what I am after, but drywashing produces acceptable results. Most of the gold is real fine to coarse flakes, but not very big. Thanks again for the info.

Archived