Fine tuning a VLF detector!!!

Well, the good news is that I will soon be the owner of a GP3000. As soon as my truck gets out of the shop I am going to pick it up. I know it is not the latest and greatest technology, but it is a PI machine and I am hoping that it will allow me to go a little deeper than my Eureka Gold, and for now it is all I can afford. But in the meantime I keep hearing mention of people fine tuning their detectors. I have watched Kevin Hoagland's video several times and have followed every step he explains AND every step in the instruction booklet.

Is there a difference between turning the machine on, setting sensitivity for the type of soil mineralization, ground balancing, adjusting tone pitch to my hearing, etc., and "fine tuning" the machine? Or are those two processes one and the same? I don't really have the kind of gold (size of pieces) to do the whole poker chip thing. I only have one nugget (1-dwt) and just under 1-dwt of drywashing gold. Just want to make sure I am getting the best out of my VLF. Thanks.

Chris

Apply what you have learned and get out in the field. Spend as much time swinging it as possible.

Hi Frank,

Trust me, I use it as much as possible. I swing it roughly 4-5 times a week. I am finding lead shot approx. 6-8 inches deep and other very small pieces of metal, so I am confident I am using it right. Just didn't know if there were any tricks to tuning that I was not familiar with. Thanks.

Archived