Tips on the AZ desert

After reading the post from Chris I figured I might give a few "tips" on dealing with the Az. desert.

Ive been out here since 1965 and have spent a lot of time in the desert.

Ive broken wheels off the baja, broken transaxle mounts, and both times made it out with the seatbelt wrapped around the broken part.

Shattered the bendix gear on a starter on a automatic 76 jeep p/u....had to carry the starter out on that one.

Hole in the gas tank.....chew a piece of soap until its soft and puddy it up. Gas wont cut soap like it will gum.

Lots of other little incidents along the way.

What ive learned is to be prepared.

Sit down at home and think about what could happen.Look at the vehicle and say to yourself...what if this broke or that broke. Write down a list of things to carry in a plastic tote container in case something does go wrong.

Its not fun walking out after a weekend of dredging or drywashing.

Heres some of the things I have and do.

WATER!!!! plenty of it. I bring 2 gallons for each day plus a canteen and a couple of gatoraides. Freeze them the night before.

Complete set of tools to work on the vehicle with a roll of wire and duct tape

WATER!!!. Your vehicle needs it too. I carry a 6 gallon jug in case I blow a hose.

Radiator stop leak

Extra radiator hoses, heater hoses, Duct tape, clamps, wire.

Just throw the old ones in your tote when you change them out.

Extra spark plugs and a couple of wires.

TIRES....

Tire plug kit

2 cans of fix a flat...yup, ive gotten two flats before. Nice to have a extra can if your running on the spare.

Cheap air compressor that runs off of the battery.

Extra oil, extra gas, I can spare a extra battery from one of my cars and take that along too. If the alternator goes out...your running on battery power. Remember to disconect one headlight if your running on battery...helps it to last longer. :)

Once the engine starts to sputter...youve got about 5 miles left (dont ask how I know)

Pre-load with water before you go out walking. You may pee it out but at least you got some of it in the body.

Take a canteen or camelback pack.

TWEEZERS! Nothing more irritating then a cactus sticker in you the whole day that you cant get out.

Two sticks are great for pulling cholla cacti off your body. Nasty little turds!

ALWAYS leave a map of where your going with someone. Try not to deviate from it too much,even though its tempting.

Bring extra food. Its a lot easier to unpack it after the trip then to wish you had it if your stuck.

Bring blankets. Buy a orange or red blanket.....you can throw it over the top of your truck if your stuck hard and the helo's are out looking for you.

The desert can get cold at night, even though it may be warm in the day.

Side arm....definently.

Throw a couple of bic lighters in the glove box.

Dont camp in washes. If it rains up north it can come ripping through there with no warning.

Only work half as much as you would when its cool I know your mind says you can do it, but you will exhuast yourself and sweat a lot more.

Wear snake chaps. Your in the leggless critters domain and he thinks you might step on him and mess up his pretty diamondback pattern.

First aid kit

Sunblock, light loose clothes, long sleeves...belive it or not, its not that hot to wear long sleeves.

A hat. I have a dumb looking straw hat that keeps me coverd good. If I use the baseball cap I wrap a light rag around my head to cover my neck and ears.

I know theres more, if anyone has more tips PLEASE post them.

Heres a link to some good advise.

http://www.yucca-valley.org/departments/survival2.html

Maybe this could be flagged as a HOT TOPIC so it stays up front and others could see it before it gets buried in posts.

Good luck out there and have fun.

Tom

After reading the post from Chris I figured I might give a few "tips" on dealing with the Az. desert.

Ive been out here since 1965 and have spent a lot of time in the desert.

Ive broken wheels off the baja, broken transaxle mounts, and both times made it out with the seatbelt wrapped around the broken part.

Shattered the bendix gear on a starter on a automatic 76 jeep p/u....had to carry the starter out on that one.

Hole in the gas tank.....chew a piece of soap until its soft and puddy it up. Gas wont cut soap like it will gum.

Lots of other little incidents along the way.

What ive learned is to be prepared.

Sit down at home and think about what could happen.Look at the vehicle and say to yourself...what if this broke or that broke. Write down a list of things to carry in a plastic tote container in case something does go wrong.

Its not fun walking out after a weekend of dredging or drywashing.

Heres some of the things I have and do.

WATER!!!! plenty of it. I bring 2 gallons for each day plus a canteen and a couple of gatoraides. Freeze them the night before.

Complete set of tools to work on the vehicle with a roll of wire and duct tape

WATER!!!. Your vehicle needs it too. I carry a 6 gallon jug in case I blow a hose.

Radiator stop leak

Extra radiator hoses, heater hoses, Duct tape, clamps, wire.

Just throw the old ones in your tote when you change them out.

Extra spark plugs and a couple of wires.

TIRES....

Tire plug kit

2 cans of fix a flat...yup, ive gotten two flats before. Nice to have a extra can if your running on the spare.

Cheap air compressor that runs off of the battery.

Extra oil, extra gas, I can spare a extra battery from one of my cars and take that along too. If the alternator goes out...your running on battery power. Remember to disconect one headlight if your running on battery...helps it to last longer. :)

Once the engine starts to sputter...youve got about 5 miles left (dont ask how I know)

Pre-load with water before you go out walking. You may pee it out but at least you got some of it in the body.

Take a canteen or camelback pack.

TWEEZERS! Nothing more irritating then a cactus sticker in you the whole day that you cant get out.

Two sticks are great for pulling cholla cacti off your body. Nasty little turds!

ALWAYS leave a map of where your going with someone. Try not to deviate from it too much,even though its tempting.

Bring extra food. Its a lot easier to unpack it after the trip then to wish you had it if your stuck.

Bring blankets. Buy a orange or red blanket.....you can throw it over the top of your truck if your stuck hard and the helo's are out looking for you.

The desert can get cold at night, even though it may be warm in the day.

Side arm....definently.

Throw a couple of bic lighters in the glove box.

Dont camp in washes. If it rains up north it can come ripping through there with no warning.

Only work half as much as you would when its cool I know your mind says you can do it, but you will exhuast yourself and sweat a lot more.

Wear snake chaps. Your in the leggless critters domain and he thinks you might step on him and mess up his pretty diamondback pattern.

First aid kit

Sunblock, light loose clothes, long sleeves...belive it or not, its not that hot to wear long sleeves.

A hat. I have a dumb looking straw hat that keeps me coverd good. If I use the baseball cap I wrap a light rag around my head to cover my neck and ears.

I know theres more, if anyone has more tips PLEASE post them.

Heres a link to some good advise.

http://www.yucca-valley.org/departments/survival2.html

Maybe this could be flagged as a HOT TOPIC so it stays up front and others could see it before it gets buried in posts.

Good luck out there and have fun.

Tom

Use a comb to remove the Cholla Balls!

Archived