Major Placer Gold Theft Reported

I just got word that theives have stolen the Siskiyou County Gold Collection .... I don't know how many pounds of gold there were, but this is a very major placer gold collection ... Someone broke in and stole the collection about 25 or so years ago and the cops followed a trail of nuggets -- ala Hantzel and Gretle-- and caught the thief at his home only a couple blocks from the courthouse ... The county then installed a supposedly unbeatable security system complete with 3" bullet proof glass and direct alarm to the sheriff dept. which is basically in the same building ... If true, this is an amazing haul ... Here's pix I took on my last visit to Yreka ... Cheers, Unc

Yep...Just confirmed!!!

Sheriff Lopey responds on gold nugget heist

24.png Feb 1, 2012 34.pngSheriff Jon Lopey, Sheriffs, Siskiyou County, Siskiyou Sheriff's report

SISKIYOU COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

**2/1/2012**

On February 1, 2012 at approximately 7:10 am the Yreka Police Department (YPD) received a report of a break in at the Siskiyou County Courthouse. The initial report was that the gold case located in the lobby of the Courthouse had been broken into and gold was missing. YPD officers and Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) Deputies and Detectives responded to the courthouse. A preliminary investigation revealed that at approximately 1:00 am two male individuals broke into the gold case and removed the contents.

According to Siskiyou County Treasurer Wayne Hammer the total value of the gold in the case is approximately $3 million dollars. The total value of what was taken is still being ascertained.

Sheriff Lopey stated “The SCSO is aggressively pursuing investigative leads in this case. YPD and the California Department of Justice are assisting us with the investigation and we have a team of highly skilled SCSO Detectives developing some promising leads. These thieves not only stole valuable gold that belongs to the people of Siskiyou County but these individuals violated the security and sanctity of our courthouse and stole a piece of our Siskiyou County history. We will not rest until the perpetrators are identified and held to answer for their crimes.”

If anyone has any information regarding this crime please contact the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Detectives Bureau at 841-2900.

Interesting that surveillance cameras caught them at 1 AM but it wasn't noticed or reported until 7 AM. What kind of high tech security did they supposedly have?? I have seen that case where it was displayed. It is formidable.

Digger Bob

darn, Ron, that's terrible. I can remember back when I was young and dredging out in that country I stopped by that courthouse many times just to stand and gaze at that collection. I hope they find it and get it back in its place for all to enjoy. Hope they get the bad guys before they have a chance to melt it down and its lost forever.

The Deputies must have made a Duncan Donuts run at 1 am and didn't return until they had their coffee and donuts!

Archived