I live in the Sierra Nevada near Forest hill, for the last couple of weeks I have Ben experiencing a lot of EMI. I was wondering if anyone in the general area is experiencing the same thing. Im using a gpx 4500 with a 14x9 blitz coil. Thanks...

I thought I was too, but it turned out my coil had water in it and was giving me the instability.

I switched coils and life was good again with about the same emi as usual.

EMI gets into your detector a lot of different ways,and can be caused by several different types of transmissions. what you may be hearing is the radar the aircraft are using to keep from slamming into each other. your coil wire has an outer braid. this braided copper also has a coating on the wire (usually red) its also is a form of shielding. the best shielded wire I ever found was old military surplus silver plated coax wire salvaged from Los Alamos NM labs. They had little margin for error there. BOOM! This wire made a killer quiet extention wire for my hip mounting rig. but even with this plating the wire coating will break down over time with normal movement from internal chaffing and it's expensive. Minelab not only uses the metal box just for strength, its also a form of shielding. on the their machines with plastic end caps they have a thin piece of aluminum foil liner to help keep the EMI out. there are other things their using too. I dont think this is your problem, probably just radar overload. AzNuggetBob

Rick

Every once in awhile we get the military fighter jets coming through where were hunting and they just blow the detectors away. I know its them because when I point my coil at them it gets worse. Its real bad you can take a break until they leave. I'm just not sure what it is? I've heard its caused by their radar jamming? have you heard anything about this? AzNuggetBob

Bob,

Your correct, combat aircraft have a ton of survive to fight systems. Depends on the training mission to which tactical warfare switches to engage to over come the aggressor. You know it will be a bad day detecting when your hunting a high bench and a F-16 zips by eye level in the wash below. Just like a distant thunderstorm, it's a tough day swinging a Minelab!

Rick

Hey Rick

Here is a post I found on the forum with a video showing the F-16's. Its a blast watching these guys go by. I've had them come by at eye level too. but if they have that jamming on you may as well sit back and watch the show. this vid shows what they do best, protecting us. Thanks for the video Terry.

AzNuggetBob

http://www.nuggethun...?showtopic=7346

I went out sat up around foresthill. My detector ran quieter than it has but still a lot of emi. A couple of the guys I was with had same problem, they were using the gpx 5000. Radar, sun spots,thunderstorms who knows. Sweet video!!

Archived