Went out with a friend to try to find the last piece of gold for the year.

Those familiar with Northern Calif. will probably be able to nail down the location from the photo and probably the mines I hiked to.

The hike to the summit took 1hr. and 38 minutes.

If you look closely in this picture, you will see a green steel bridge in the lower left side of the picture. That's where we parked the truck.

6BC0D12D-3D86-45F6-9EEA-0E2E677CD7DB-563

It was a 2040' climb in elevation to the summit, then a unknown amounts of sliding down the other side.

Once we arrived at the mine, it was apparent that the old timers had decided at some point after the 1930's that they were not going to come back up that mountain to finish their grand plan. All the support posts were laying in a neat pile slowly rotting.

Long story short - I packed a Minelab 2100 up there for no reason other than my health (which by the way was seriously in doubt about half way up the climb).

Lost my sun glasses somewhere...suffered much torture on the way down, knowing the whole time there was an ice cold beer waiting down at the truck, which never seemed to get closer. Oh well, there's always next year ...right?

Friend came out with a small but interesting piece of gold - worth a story anyway.

FYI for those familiar, I know for a fact we were not the first ones there. There were a couple holes from someone else. Overall they left it in good shape (were not lazy culls just packing expensive detectors)

Wow! What a pic!!!
That was worth the climb :)
Im seeing a really nice deep gully to the right that needs to be hit....a fat basin in the middle that needs to be hit...and some stringers off to the left that needs to be hit!
Heck...........youve got about 3 months of detecting sitting in front of you :)
Go geet it!
Tom H.

16ED7B17-6B79-4C7C-AFB0-1D3E74623266-563

There is ALOT more gold in the mountains shown in this picture than the first.

It WAS an awesome view (even with all the smoke). This is my third trip up there over the last 10 years so I'm probably numb to the view somewhat. There was a log book at the summit (which surprised me when I found it 10 years ago). People have been jotting down memories since 1970....hikers, hunters, now miners.

Unfortunately we left at 9:00 A.M. And had to be back to the truck by. 3:30 P.M. That was just enough time to do a couple hours detecting at the most .

"Your LIVING bud!"

Funny - my note I jotted down in 2003 was "keeping it real"

well now I see I am quite a bit south of ya. Cool pics,and gotta love the adventure. Think about it man...in this day and age,most folks dont get off the couch,let alone the pavement. Your LIVING bud!

AMEN!!!! Ur doing it and getting out there. Sooooo cool

Tom H.

Roo, Mountain in back ground in first picture is MT Shasta a non-active volcano in NorCal in the same chain of volcanos as MT St Helens (which erupted in 1980), MT Rainer and MT Baker,,,Man Imaudigger what a front seat you would have If you Knew when Mt Shasta was going to Blow.