Minelab SDC 2300 Release Coming Soon??

Heard from a usually reliable source that the coil is the one and only. Also that they were thinking that $3,800 was a fair price for it. If so, good luck with that - with the ATX at about $2000.

It is heavily based on a demining detector that sells for about $2000. Anything above that in the price can be attributed to Minelab's "tax on gold" pricing strategy.

Codan is in a bit of a pickle at the moment - according to publicly announced data - sales, profits and the stock price are all way down, while inventory $$$ are way up. The way to change that is to stimulate sales. Most companies would cut prices to do so, but having raised the prices of their gold detectors to extreme levels while the going was good and the price of gold was soaring, they would look kind of silly now if they changed their profile by lowering the PI prices to the levels that "non gold" detectors sell for. It's hard to see how the build cost of the GPX5000 could be three times that of the CTX, but the price sure is.

They make the world's most powerful and capable gold detector - just wish they hadn't gone off the deep end on their pricing.

Yep, I love the machines myself, but not the prices. My reason? Because before the PI's came out any one could just about afford whatever the best was around at that time. Meaning battlers, those without much, could get one and have a go along side those who had plenty. It was an even playing field. Not too many battlers I know of now who can afford to fork out for a detector that is worth more than the car they drive! Back before PI you would go out detecting and the ratio was pretty even, battlers vs have plenty. These days its about 15% vs 85%. Yeah the lower guy can go get a VLF but here in Oz he's gonna be pushing it uphill going up against PI users.