The Talk about the SDC 2300 Downunder

Well I like turning over rocks to see what's under them. So I guess you could say I went down south to hear what the thinking is on the SDC 2300.

Most don't like the C battery for power. Oh they don't like the one fixed coil either. One point that came out of this was the coil on it was off set as we can see. His point was will you have to turn the detector upside down to get the coil in the hole because of the hinge that sticks out for about a 1 1/2 inch beyond the coil. Another big thing was the price like us here in the US have been wondering about. Then yet at the same time all were excited to hear more about it and the field report that may come with it.

I myself have been sitting back waiting on it to see what new PI do I want.

Chuck Anders

Hi Roo

I had looked at it and the ATX but the SDC 2300 shaft stuck out beyond the coil circle. The ATX shaft was inline with the coil circle. All companies that make coils hits the coil in the center of it and I'd say this gives it better balance. When you got it hanging off the end of the shaft like both detectors do that puts more strain on the arm. Now if you don't believe me then try this. Say the coil weight is one pound. Then get you a stick and with the coil on the stick move it out a little at a time. By the time you get that one pound coil to the end of that stick the strain may be more you can take.

I don't think all the other coil makers are wrong because they went with what works best.

Great balance with less strain on the arm. 8 hour day swinging a detector we need all the help we can get.

Chuck Anders

I like the fact that there finally dropping the aluminum cases and shafts hopefully to lighten them up a bit. I started the carbon fiber craze on them years ago just for this reason. Im glad their going to plastic cases/ control housings and carbon fiber. Ive heard rummer's about the coil too. If the new 2300 coil is hard wired whats the advantage? other than Minelab controlling the coils used?. makes me wonder about the circuitry used too. could be another reason why. or even coil design. :) AzNuggetBob

AZNuggetBob

I'm all for the plastic case on both detectors and water proof. When the carbon fiber came out that was another great step in the right direction. I think White's is the only one that puts out a metal control box.

Chuck Anders

Chuck I have to say technology is changing so fast Im having a hard time keeping up with it. A cell phone is technically obsolete in a year. not saying it wont work well but not the best. AzNuggetBob

AZNuggetBob

You talk about change and that's all we see. Just look at all the different detectors coming on the market.

I put in 35 years with the phone company. The first time I went into a switch office you couldn't hear yourself talk but when I retired that same office you don't hear nothing anymore.

When I talk about a detector I don't want to bad mouth any product that the owner of this forum sales. I do wish we could see what a company plans on putting out and let us see it if only a picture. Then just like people are doing now on the SDC 2300 giving their pro's and con's of it.

I think detector companies may be like our government they think they know what's best for us. What they need to remember it's our money.

Chuck Anders

Chuck I like reverse engineering things.to me it generates new Ideas. sometimes pre-releasing a product can invoke optimism and skepticism but I think I can safely say Minelab is learning from our comments. AzNuggetBob