The 7000s ferrite ring

• Admin

Hey Alchemist,

Wow, Thanks a million for sharing the video. A lot of times I find myself not using the ring, but after seeing the video I seen the importance of potential ferrite dust in the iron soils.

I seen the caption on the video also mentions the ring being used for the SDC. I haven't heard of this, so do you feel this could help also on the SDC or even other Minelab PI's?

Hi Rob,

I mentioned the SDC in relation to the patent i.e. Minelabs use of the ferrite beads in the coil to stop eddy currents being generated by highly magnetic ground as the coil is being swept across it, in addition to the slow interfering decay of two slugs of solder very close to the coil windings.

I posted some more info here which I'll reproduce below for more clarity.

I don't pretend to be an expert, and I could be wrong in my assumptions about the ferrite, but I have seen the benefits of using it on benign sedimentary soild.

Cheers

I'm building a coil and had the 4500 handy and so used that.
I doubt earlier machines will benefit from using the ferrite.

The main reason for the vid as Robby pointed out was to show the essence of the patent, which was concerned more with currents generated in metal parts of the coil by the magnetic field emanating from the ground and not so much the detector.

Two slugs of solder sitting close to the edge of the coil will generate target like eddy currents as the coil is moved across highly magnetic ground, (especially bad with this type of coil)

What you say is true Kon, we were finding gold before the ring came along, and as far as I can understand it does only provide a calibration point, and as you point out Jasong using the ring to balance the 7k will not allow nuggets surrounded by ferrite concretions to suddenly be unmasked.

The reason why I tied the 7k to this was due to a test I did before the firmware update. I had been detecting for an hour or so not finding much when I located a few nuggets at the base of a gutter. I gridded that 4 square meter area from all directions passing the coil ever so slowly, and believed I had cleaned it up.
I wandered on up hill a bit and then had an idea, try ground balancing at the spot and check again. So I placed the ring on the ground near the patch and passed the coil over the ring and it didn't make much response to it at all, but going over the patch again produced a few more very deep nuggets.

I believe using the ring on the 7k will allow better target differentiation in ground having a minor masking effect.
The fact that all the nuggets found after using ferrite in the example above were among the deepest found may be evidence of this special property ferrite has to mess with magnetic fields being lessened by the use of tge ring.

The magnetic material composition of the ferrite ring, and the balun used in the video will be slightly different.

I guess the point is, I have seen first hand how the use of the ring has provided more gold, and the new firmware extends this effect, even though at first it didn't appear to make much difference.

To fully unmask some gold will take new tech, and the 7000 is another step in that direction, but fortunately not all the gold is hiding in tin boxes.

Perhaps Jasong your "hotpots" are rising pipes of iron rich minerals focusing the earths' magnetic field into a tight area.

When I get out of town again I'll have a play with some ferrites and see if the 7 is better at differentiating the gold from the iron dust.