Silver Creek Mohave county az

I am going to visit a buddy in bullhead...I have found he is in a rich area! Mostly lode gold in deep shafts:(

I found references multiple times to placer in silver Creek. I can't find specifics as to fines or detectable gold...can anyone confirm there is detectable gold in this drainage? I know it is not far from gold basin (day trip) but this Creek is just a utv ride from his house...any help would be appreciated

Thanks Matt

• Admin

Hey Matt,

I have never worked that area, so I wouldn't be much help knowing the Creek or about placers there. If the book mentions placers, it could be anything from very fine gold to coarse nuggets. Many assume that "placers" mean coarse gold, but it can anything from only fine gold to a combination of fine, flake and larger nuggets.

As for working the mines, I would recommend a VLF detector such as the Goldbug 2 with a 6.5-inch coil or the Goldbug Pro with the 5-inch Round. Both of these are extremely sensitive to the smallest piece of gold. Highly recommended for lode mine prospecting.

• Admin

Hey SGH,

The Fisher Goldbug Pro will work well. Due to the smaller stock coil, if you're using just that one, you might want to target the shallow spots and any exposed bedrock. Also search for any evidence of placering such as handstacking, drywash piles and such. These could be good indicators that placer gold (potentially nuggets) might be nearby.

Thanks I will take the stock coil and the 5 x 10. Also taking my 3000 with nf12rm. It hits on pretty small stuff too. I appreciate your input Rob. Thanks for your guidance while my wife was ordering my Christmas present...been playing around with that garret pro pointer and it seems pretty sweet!

Hello guys, I got a day to go out with my buddy and we had a great time! No gold to report, but I got to see some pretty desert and canyon country. Made some more memories with a childhood friend. The real gold! Jasong was right about the lead! I ran a pan from a good looking crevice and I think I could have reloaded a shotgun shell with all the lead shot from just that one pan!

post-68109-0-99208600-1451771428_thumb.j

Cool, nice trip. It's a real tough area to get nuggets out of.

If you go to Gold Basin with the GBPro, look for shallowish (gravel depth 2-6") washes and makes sure to detect side walls, lots of 0.1 to 0.25 gram pickers out there, hard to learn at first and takes a few trips to get the feel, but once you get the feel for it it's hard to get skunked with a good VLF out there.