uranium miners and nuke heads

I know this isn't part of the normal topic but if you or someone you know, or even a family member is sick or worked around radiation, nuclear materials, mined or processed uranium in a uranium mine or mill, or assisted with nuclear blasts or bombs, filling holes at the Nevada Nuclear Test Site or elsewhere, you may qualify for a medical screening to determine a one-time lump sum payment, in addition to lifetime medical care.

If you are a surviving member of such a person who died after working in such a situation, you may also qualify for benefits and monetary awards to the survivors.

The downside is that you may have to travel to a distant town to have the testing performed at no charge to you, though you will have to bear travel expenses.

This is related to DOD, AEC, & DOE employees, and is funded by the Congress. You could also contact the Office of Shelley Berkley or Harry Reid for additional information.

Miners, operating engineers, electricians, carpenters, pipefitters and ironworkers are some of those who performed the dangerous work of preparing for and cleaning up after nuclear blasts.

The Defense Authorization Act of 1993 instructed the DOE to evaluate the health of former workers at nuclear weapons facilities across the country. This time it is the Nevada Test Site's turn.

Test Site construction workers who built tunnels, drilled holes and hauled tons of monitoring equipment in and out of the test areas from 1951 until the testing moratorium took effect in 1992. Other construction workers eligible for screening are those who witnessed above-ground atomic blasts in the '50s as well as those who did recovery work in the tunnels, shafts or holes. It has since been opened up to anyone working with Uranium and radioactive materials as part of National defense and research programs

Those wanting to make an appointment for future screenings may call 702-636-8777 or toll-free at 1-888-636-8161.

Sandie Medina

2315 North Decatur Blvd., Suite B

Las Vegas, NV 89195

The office actually sits facing Auborn Ave (89108), in a converted house.

In addition to focusing on radiation, the screenings look at other hazards that were present at the Test Site. Workers were exposed to silica dust, diesel smoke, noise and asbestos. Workers also can tell medical experts about other potentially toxic hazards.

Researchers involved in the screening effort hope to learn more about workers exposed to chemicals, noise and radiation in underground settings. Doctors from the University of California, San Francisco, Boston University and the University of Nevada School of Medicine's Department of Family Medicine will perform the screenings.

The physicians will examine each worker, take an X-ray of their lungs and test their breathing, hearing and blood samples. While most people will be screened once, others may be asked to return. Workers will receive test results within six to eight weeks after the screenings. The results are private and will not be shared with anyone unless the worker gives his permission.

In 1990 Congress enacted the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) to provide compensation to underground uranium miners, Nevada Test Site downwinders, and on-site nuclear test participants, who have been diagnosed with a RECA-compensable disease and were present in defined areas during defined time periods. RECA has since been amended to include above-ground uranium miners, uranium millers and ore transporters. A committee was formed in 2002 by the National Academies’ Board of Radiation Effects Research to review the most recent information regarding radiation risk assessment and its implications for RECA populations, and to determine, among other things, whether any additional geographic areas or populations should be added to RECA. RECA currently applies to downwinders in specific counties in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona; to uranium miners, millers, and ore transporters in 11 states in the western United States, and to all on-site test participants.

Also affected are those exposed to free silica and dusts, beryllium, asbestos, noise, and other situations related to the work involved. This is a government study and review and is not related to any lawyer or attorney.

As one of the participants, I only think that others should know and be tested also. Your body is like a sponge- it absorbs radiation but cannot get rid of it. It doesn't vaporize, shrink, dry up and go away. What you have, you have, and it works away at your organs until they cannot function properly. Symptoms include lesions, ulcers, metabolism issues, thyroid, lots of muscle cramps, numbness, breathing difficulty, cancers of various types, and more.

Sorry to post bad news, but at least now you can find someone to actually listen and define it for you, and to some extent, give you some support with your trials. Part of being a unique individual that sacrificed their life in other ways, for freedom and military superiority.

Hi W4S, I am employed in the field of radiation myself and exposed to it on a regular basis. I started working for this company in 1990 and in 1993 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I have been exposed to neutron, Alpha, and Beta Gamma souces over the last 15 years. I have been around Americium, Cesium, Technitum and other elements. I can't say the size of these sources due to security reasons of course. I really don't believe that this exposure has caused my MS condition but you never know.

I am an electronics technician and work with instrumentation used in the business, Gieger counters, scalers, pulsers and so on. So it kind of goes hand in hand with my metal detecting hobby which I enjoy very much. Anyway I had to reply since I am working with the stuff and I didn't know that there is such a program. Ok W4S I will CU later and thanks for the tip. God Bless ya my friend and happy prospecting. John the Wirechief--John's Detectors.

wirechief: I worked off and on in some of the hottest areas of NTS, both in areas pre-shot and post shot, underground and aboveground. After working there for the last time, I was and felt sick for 9 years straight. I also worked in a Uranium mine in Wyoming when I was younger.

the fact is, the program is geared towards people that have health problems that their own state's workman's comp program does not want to recognize as a disability because of the connection to nuke testing.

The point is, get screened and let them tell you what's going on and what you qualify for. Depending on the case, you could get a lump sum payment and more. Money doesn't replace bad health with good.

Of course, when you worked there, you were kept in the dark. Call or write in and set yourself up for a test in 2006.

Ok W4S and thanks for the encouraging words. Of course I'm still employed there and still getting exposed. I had a guy earlier this year to come in and use the neutron source. He and another fellow removed it from the plastic barrel and the source is on the end of a 3 foot rod. But the problem is that they left it laying out about 30 feet from me and I figure I was exposed for about 3 hours, of course I didn't realize what had happened until 3 hours later. I was not happy! Anyway just some of the perils of this type of work. I'm going to print out your posts on this subject and keep them handy. I hope you are doing as well as can be expected W4S and take care of yourself and hope to talk to you later. God Bless de John the Wirechief-- John's Detectors.

I've been watching this thread with growing alarm for both you guys.

I just cannot fathom how anyone, businessperson or otherwise, could try to skate around responsibility for the illnesses inherent in the kind of work you are describing. Call me an idealist, but those same people would feel different if it were their kids, wives, husbands.

Very tough situation.

regards,

Hi Flak Magnet, very nice to meet you and thank you for your concerns for W4S and me Wirechief. This is why I have started a part time metal detector business and I pray that it will become successful enough that I can support my wife and I. I'm very ready to find a new way of life before it might be too late. I just hope I'm up to it physically! I feel terrible and don't really know what a good day might feel like now. But I'm not looking for any sympathy and it is up to me to get myself out of the situation I'm in. But enough of this and I am looking forward to making new friends and experiences, it's time to go FORWARD!!!. I thank W4S for giving us the phone number and info to check into this subject. I have been detecting for about 13 years now and love ham radio but time to get more passionate about metal detectors. Ok I will talk to you again I'm sure Flak and happy hunting to you and yours! May the God of Abraham Bless you richly always. John the Wirechief--John's Detectors.

I really didn't want to say this stuff, or go into this sort of detail, but I know that many of you know borderline cases, people who may have been ill because of this, or surviving families (who would also qualify for the confidential benefit). Previous posts have the information you need to investigate and find out something.

You do your job- the company makes money. Get hurt, they lose money. Prove wrongdoing or negligence, they could lose the company and everything else. That's why there is so much resistance to worker causes and support

The human body absorbs radiation, the reason that people around it wear film badges that are collected and reviewed on a regular basis.

Certainly no one wants to take care of a physically impaired worker, nor supply for the needs of their family stemming from impairment.

Workers have to research and study documents relating to medical and physical dangers on the job. No one will tell you what you're really up against; at least those who will have to pay your claims

Doctors, knowing what is legally involved, shy away from signing or making any letter, and cannot be counted on either for support or testimony against the establishment.

After 50 years, Congress and the Senate finally got the Government to admit fault. Most of those that had any hope of getting help are now mostly dead.

Contact Sandie Medina for support and information. It may be that you may have to contact your own Senator or Congressman, but first Contact Harry Reid and Shelley Berkley (NV), as they are the players who got the screening program going.

Don't defeat yourself by making uninformed decisions. Let others who know and have the information tell you what you should do, and then follow through. Don't get discouraged. Just jump through one more hoop before you call it a day.

Hello W4S--- Lucky I be that I was not stationed at the Nevada Test Site during the

atomic bomb testing. To be in the trenches while testing was done.

Instead I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri. Cadre in an advanced basic training unit... 6-week cycle after cycle... Long hours... While my ol' buddy, Jim Skinner (Mackay 1953), served his active duty at the test site. Jim wrote me such neat letters about the happenings. Also, he could sometimes spend a long weekend at his home in Reno. While it was many miles from Wood to Reno and I never was on a leave.

However, Jim is now gone. Years ago... Lukemia. Sometimes, it is not best to get what you wish for.

Hell W4S: I was in the trenches 3900 yards from ground zero for the HOOD test in July of 1957. I started pursuing the Marine Corps in 1978 for acknowledgement of my participation(seems as if records were lost or destroyed), finally they did acknowledge I was there, however it does not appear on my DD214. I have been pursuing this for a long time now. The National Association of Atomic Veterans (NAAV) P. O. Box 11517 Chandler, Arizona 85248 has a News Letter that is released quarterly and they have some pretty up todate info for those of you who sat under the Bombs when they were detonated . Thanks for the infromation Whats4Supper. Hammer

• 9 months later...

Hello wirechief, I saw you mention ham radio. I too am a ham and have been since 1991. I like to work hf but have not been very active in the last couple of years. My call sign is KB7NJW and I am a general class ham.. Nice to meet you John. I hope your business grows and you prosper Good luck in the future my friend. Buffalo Earl