GPAA gold show at Lancaster

:D Ol' Jim Straight here... The AMDA is holding hunts both Sat and Sun morning before the gold show. I "plan" ( I never know for sure :blink: ) to camp with the venders at the Antelope Valley Fairground. The address is 2551 W. Avenue H

in Lancaster. It will be this weekend April 22-23. Call (800) 551-9707 ext 123

if you wish more info.

Getting back to the AMDA hunts, they are scheduled both Sat and Sun. For those

of you at Primm the AMDA put on the hunts before the gold show. I enjoy "fee" hunts. Have attended many of them since 1974. Not that I'm good at them, but to get out and swing a detector is the fun. The regulars are a great group and very friendly and informative. I try to go to the various events and have no favorite; they are all fun.

I will also be walking around at the show. If anyone who reads this post will be there give me a "shout." Or tap me on the shoulder (Grin) as I'm "hearing challenged." I would be glad if you do. The ICMJ will be there. Scott or Sally will

know where I will be. Actually I just wander and if anyone is a lone-dealer and needs a short break I watch the booth so they can.

That is my "plan." I wish that grubstake and dorthy were going too... We had great fun at the Federation hunt held at Laughlin a few years back.

Hi! Jim, its not in the cards for me this year, Dorthy has a wedding to go to, and I'm going to the nugget patch. I like tose hunts, but its a very long drive for me, and I'm into good gold up here, maybe next year. I am going to RP , Memorial day weekend, maybe I can score a cheron nugget, I sure would like to find one that weighs about a pound. you sure have been silent lately, you need to post more. Grubstake

:D Hello Grubstake and Chris. Yes I have been silent. My booklet business is going strong. Taking a couple of cases to Gem Guides tomorrow. About 100 mile round trip; but, is easier to deliver than ship. If "sandtrap" sees this post, he will have quite a story to tell about finding my test nugget and the "Lost 'sandtrap' mine." (AKA as "Who moved the can and marker!!")

If you get the May-June GPAA Gold Prospector magazine go to page 46. Kassai is an old friend... we have dry-washed, dredged, and nugget-hunted over the many years. He also was my brave "riding mechanic" in a 500 mile and a 200 mile

"endurance run." (I had a 1914 Model "T" Speedster/Racer.) As I write this he is in the hospital... was in intensive care. Heart. We have been friends since 1969.

Also, I have been going out coin hunting and nugget hunting also. As much as the

weather will allow. Found an IH penny in poor condition and one small nugget.

Rob... if you read this thread, :D "Your picture is on My piano." :D

pondmn I have entered the "scramble." But unfortunatly my "scramble" has scrambled. But I have a great machine. It is fast and great target separation. If

a good competion hunter used it he/she would possibly be in winners row. But I'm

just lucky to be out moving about...

The "scramble" is only 20 minutes. Maybe I'm good for "five" :P:blink:

Okay, Mariposa nuggets? ... so if it is "show and tell" I have a couple of ol' ugly nuggets that I might bring... But you must promise not to laugh (too hard).

Guest sandtrap

Okay. Mr. Jim, I was going to be quiet, about your lost "test" nugget, but seeing as how you started in about my lost "mine", here it comes. My Guru, and I were hunting where I found a small nugget, with a small coil. I marked, with a rusty can, and reflective tape, a bush, near the area where my nugget was found. I did this, because Jim was coming over my place for a visit, and we were to test a machine he had. We went to the general area, and some no good lousy bum, removed the can and tape. We found the general area, but the desert flora all looked the same. I took a lot of ribbing from Jim, about my lost "mine"..

Anyway, we stopped searching, and just started beeping . After a while, with no luck, we met back at my truck. Mr. Jim said he lost his test nugget. It was in a small bottle, and it was gone. Going back to his area where he started, the search began. About 50 yards from where he thought it was dropped, I found it. He got pretty indignant about taking back his "lost" nugget, but reconsidered, when he learned how far he would have to walk back to my house, if he would not take it back. END OF STORY

P.S. He did buy my supper at the Sizzler restaurant when we got back.!!

Dutch John is a fine person, and I am proud to call him my friend...

Howdy everybody... sandtrap is only trying to get me to mark the "X" where

big chevron nuggets are found... He has been there but was blindfolded and given

eye drops--- and to play it doubly safe was the last in the caravan so he was thick

in the alkali dust. Wow what a ride, the alkali thick. But when we arrived, sandtrap did manage to find a nice nugget. It sounded off large and clear.

And he only got one flat tire. If he manages to find the spot where he will get four flat tires in one small area; he will be in "chevron nugget territory." The more flat tires, the better the chance to find chevrons. And if you cut across Poker Brown and get stuck first, you will be in the general area (within a couple of hundred square miles).

But, seriously, sandtrap is a good nuggethunter. He is finding gold, while I lose mine. I told him if he found the one I carelessly left on the ground he could keep it. But he quickly jambed it in my shirt pocket before I even knew he had found it.

With the price of diesel/gasoline it is costly to drive about 600 miles one way to seek the now elusive chevrons. So why drive over a goldfield to go to another which may not be any better?

Maybe someone can find the lost "sandtrap placers." The can and tape must be out there somewhere. It is the "tell-tale marker spot" where sandtrap found several small shallow nuggets. If anyone out beeping somewhere in the broad Randsburg-El Paso range district sees the rusty condensed can and reflective tape about 30 ft east of a north-south gravel road; this is the lost sandtrap placers. Set up a cone-marker and a tight grid.

Sandtrap, if you are still speaking to me I will buy the coffee at the show. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest sandtrap

LOL I'll let you do that saturday morning, Jim! Can't stay but a few hours, tho, as protecting our country'interests is my job, and my Zuki Samurai needs gas, for me to run around in it. See ya there!

Flak, how about you? :P

sandtrap... you may see many old friends. Antelope Valley, PCSC, PLP, West End and others will be there. Good friends and great comradeship. But, I sure hope to see Duaine there. Also anyone reading this thread, give me a "howdy."

Changing the subject. I have a "Detecting Set, Mine Metallic and Non Metallic Type Design AN/PRS-7." It needs a part to work. Also, if anyone reading this post has any input regarding the military mine detector that was used to find the 13-pound "Mojave Queen" back in 1977, I would like to talk to you. I believe(?) this is the make and model (but not the same machine) that was used.

I first used a Military Mine detector--- stateside during basic training in 1953. It

was a SCR-625. This was the make/model later used by HH Nininger to recover Iron meteorites.

gotgold... I'n not sure. It was modded to take two nine volt batteries and it will only

give a "tick... tick" sound. The headset and coil are hardwired. It has a long heavy wand with the lead wire inside. It looks expensive and impressive. I was told by a fellow who used one during the 'Nam era that the pole was extra long as it was designed to detect "bouncing betties." My actual knowledge of mines is limited to Korean era. However, I am not a Korean vet.

It seems to look pretty new. I bought it about 5-years ago. It was thought to be working but the fellow who used one in 'Nam said it was missing a part. He thought

it was available and could be fixed. My interest is that I believe that Tye Paulson

found the "Mojave Queen" with one of these makes/models and then Willie Merrell also used one(?) to find considerable gold.

Naturally today the unit is obsolete. I am at a complete loss regarding the unit. Know nothing about it... The fellow that used one in the 'Nam era referred it as being a "UDT." I have casually known the fellow for years but have not been able

to make contact with him.

Back twenty some years ago I did a lot of nuggethunting in the Randsburg CA broad area. I happened to see a fellow swinging a detector with a long pole off

in the distance. I was using a set of field glasses and the heat waves distorted my

observation. The detectorist did not want to come in contact with me. We played tag... But I believe it was the (late) George Pratt. He used various hand crafted detectors such as the one made by Mr. Kavac(k) who made detectors during the 1960- early 1970's.

I later got to know Willie well--- he was a great detectorist and wrote a book, "Those Elusive Gold Nuggets." It was published and distributed by White's.

If anyone can find a copy of Willies book... buy it..

gotgold... I'n not sure. It was modded to take two nine volt batteries and it will only

give a "tick... tick" sound. The headset and coil are hardwired. It has a long heavy wand with the lead wire inside. It looks expensive and impressive. I was told by a fellow who used one during the 'Nam era that the pole was extra long as it was designed to detect "bouncing betties." My actual knowledge of mines is limited to Korean era. However, I am not a Korean vet.

It seems to look pretty new. I bought it about 5-years ago. It was thought to be working but the fellow who used one in 'Nam said it was missing a part. He thought

it was available and could be fixed. My interest is that I believe that Tye Paulson

found the "Mojave Queen" with one of these makes/models and then Willie Merrell also used one(?) to find considerable gold.

Naturally today the unit is obsolete. I am at a complete loss regarding the unit. Know nothing about it... The fellow that used one in the 'Nam era referred it as being a "UDT." I have casually known the fellow for years but have not been able

to make contact with him.

Back twenty some years ago I did a lot of nuggethunting in the Randsburg CA broad area. I happened to see a fellow swinging a detector with a long pole off

in the distance. I was using a set of field glasses and the heat waves distorted my

observation. The detectorist did not want to come in contact with me. We played tag... But I believe it was the (late) George Pratt. He used various hand crafted detectors such as the one made by Mr. Kavac(k) who made detectors during the 1960- early 1970's.

I later got to know Willie well--- he was a great detectorist and wrote a book, "Those Elusive Gold Nuggets." It was published and distributed by White's.

If anyone can find a copy of Willies book... buy it..

Jim, thanks for the info. I have friends that also may be able to help out, some were also in 'Nam and have a ton knowledge about equipment used during that time frame.

Since you and I aren't that far from each other here in southern CA, I could possibly gleen more info on the detector by taking a more detailed look at it if your willing to let me do so. :huh:

I'd love to shake a 'Howdy'_GG

Gary

PS, I'm not 'slinging BS' on my part here, I was in the military during the same time period and those 'folks' that I know are always there to help out when asked! :D

gotgold... I agree with you. I was in the reserves from 1950 until 1962. My active duty was stateside... I completed the 120 EOBC at Ft. Belvour in the summer of 1955 and then spend two years active duty, all at Ft. Leonard Wood. I was intially assigned to Combat Command "B" Sixth Amored Division as a platoon leader.

Then I was re-assigned as a unit training officer advanced basic training. We became a very tight group. I still exchange e-mails with others in my outfit although we have not seen each other for many years. I got to know fellow officers from Japan and Formosa. As strange as it seems, the military was one

big melting pot. Very close friendships. We needed to rely and depend upon each other. This has even carried over to civilian times.

If grubstake, sandtrap, as well as others, such as you who are reading this thread will respond, I'm sure they share the same feeling...

I live in Rialto and go out to the Summit/Randsburg/El Paso area which just 100

miles north of me. sandtrap is an x-marine and has blossomed into an accomplished nuggethunter. And I have had the privilage to hunt with both grubstake and his uncle Alan. Don't detect behind any one of these three, if the gold was there, it is now in their poke.

I'm leaving in the morning for Lancaster... if anyone is going and will be there, look me up and give me a "shout." And gotgold, you would enjoy seeing the Mine detector. It looks like it was expensive.

To summarize... unforunately there are thousands... millions of anti-personel mines in many small countries. They can, and are, killing and maiming innocent

farmers trying to work the fields.

Best to All... ol' Jim Straight.

:) Howdy Jim,

I wish you were closer, would love to meet you in person, I agree with Grubstake, would like to see your posts, more often, and thanks again for tips on using the ML Eureka;-)

My mining partner/son, "Justice", say's he's going to run the dredge, this year so he can get a CRF 450, he's 10 yrs old, just got him 2006 Honda CRF 80, after I got GP3500 from Rob, I think that would last mabe an hour in this cold water;-)

Take care,

Ed