An area in hell

I went out today to an area that was supposed to have good gold.

You know how it goes: Joe does really good there and there is good gold!

I left home thismorning alone as usual, to hunt an area that "Joe" does well in.

A distance from Redding. I carried my 2 liter camel back with water, scanned the map before I left, put on my snake chaps, hosed down with "off" and off I went with my GP for an adventure. And an adventure it was! :shock:

After crawling for over an hour and over a mile under amanzanita and poison oak, I came to a creek that had tons of tailings and the bedrock was stripped clean. They tore the crap out of this place and there is no sign of anyone ever using a detector here. :D I spent little time there beeping because I was burned out and tired. The snakes were sunning themselves in the cobbles and I couldn't hear anything with my headphones on. I was using an 18" DD pro and had several ellusive targets I never did find, on a very steep slope...Mtn Goat country, having a hell of a time trying to stand in one place not to mention the detector kept sliding down the hill.

I decided to leave after I ran out of water and digging a shell casing 20" deep.

On the way back, I tried to keep on the ridges for there was less poison oak, and a little more room to get through...I almost stepped on a snake and with a girlsh screem :shock: I alerted every turkey hunter in Shasta county of my location.

After a 3 mile hike in steep, HOT, snake filled, poison oak hell, I don't think I will be back there soon. I can see why others haven't detected there yet, I just happened upon it. I don't think I would drag my worst enemy there, but it has great potential...I think there is very large gold there..there is a very large hydraulic mine very nearby with No Tresspassing sighns.

IF I can find it again when it's cooler, I just may be crazy enough to go back! I think I will do good!

:wacko:

I left home thismorning alone as usual, to hunt an area that "Joe" does well in.

A distance from Redding. I carried my 2 liter camel back with water, scanned the map before I left, put on my snake chaps, hosed down with "off" and off I went with my GP for an adventure. And an adventure it was! :shock:

After crawling for over an hour and over a mile under amanzanita and poison oak, I came to a creek that had tons of tailings and the bedrock was stripped clean. They tore the crap out of this place and there is no sign of anyone ever using a detector here. :D I spent little time there beeping because I was burned out and tired. The snakes were sunning themselves in the cobbles and I couldn't hear anything with my headphones on. I was using an 18" DD pro and had several ellusive targets I never did find, on a very steep slope...Mtn Goat country, having a hell of a time trying to stand in one place not to mention the detector kept sliding down the hill.

I decided to leave after I ran out of water and digging a shell casing 20" deep.

On the way back, I tried to keep on the ridges for there was less poison oak, and a little more room to get through...I almost stepped on a snake and with a girlsh screem  :shock:  I alerted every turkey hunter in Shasta county of my location.

After a 3 mile hike in steep, HOT, snake filled, poison oak hell, I don't think I will be back there soon. I can see why others haven't detected there yet, I just happened upon it. I don't think I would drag my worst enemy there, but it has great potential...I think there is very large gold there..there is a very large hydraulic mine very nearby with No Tresspassing sighns.

IF I can find it again when it's cooler, I just may be crazy enough to go back! I think I will do good!

:P Hey Alan,

Better you than Me :blink: I think alot of California's placer gold & manzanita brush are atracted to each other :rolleyes: was going to call, but noticed its all most 10pm..

Take care,

Ed

Wow, what a day you had......but.......

The snake didn't bite you.

Your detector works dispite the cliff slides it took.

It didn't rain.

Your ankles are in tact from the cobbles.

You drank enough to keep off the heat stroke.

And you did it all outside instead of wishing you had of done something last weekend.

===============

There's always next weekend and a new hill. I wish you better success next time.

E :unsure: odseal 2000 I used to hunt in Pacheco Pass in Central Cal. We hiked 5 miles before daylight and then back out sometimes dragging pigs or deer in 100 plus degree weather. We always took in a 2liter soda bottle of frozen water and stashed it on the way in and this gave us a cool drink on the way out. We all do crazy things in the name of fun. Jerry

Very realistic picture you're painting there, I imagine you could call it a somewhat typical picture or you would often get an equivalent "rest of the story" for many of the nuggets displayed on forums. It can be tough balancing while walking up a steep incline with those detectors and a pick; all the while keeping a sure footing off the trail in the underbrush. I did a little of that just messing around and testing out equipment in some "paleozoic detritus". Think I might go back sometime and take a few photos since it was scenic although barren of gold. :mellow:

On the way back, I tried to keep on the ridges for there was less poison oak, and a little more room to get through...I almost stepped on a snake and with a girlsh screem  :shock:  I alerted every turkey hunter in Shasta county of my location.

Well sir isn't the life of a prospector grant. People call us crazy, likely they should, but in the end we are the ones with a clear picture of what heaven & hell can be like.

Bob

eodseal2000, sounds like you had fun and an education. I think I smell gold in your future, you show good promise as to what it takes to find that yellow stuff.

It has never been easy and now days the person that's willing to go out of the box will be successful. :)

There's a guy over on Nuggetshooter forum by the name of Uncle Ron, I think the two of you should get together and combine amanzanita, cholla, poison oak and get a lot of gold. :D

I thank you all for the comments.

I wasn't really complaining, just thought I'd share mystory of the crazy things we do sometimes and to Jog some memories for some of you guys, I'm sure we all have good stories.

I remember living in Nevada for a couple of years, looking for lizards as a boy in the desert with temps reaching 121....I contacted heat stroke.

Everyone take care.