East Fork San Gabriel River - Memorial Day

Guest keninla

Guest keninla

I will be out at the East Fork of the San Gabriel River the Sat. and Sunday over Memorial Weekend. I am taking my 4 inch Keene Dredge.

Anyone else interested in meeting up there.

29Prospector?

Flakmagnet?

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keninla

Dredged at the East Fork for two days. It seemed a lot longer because it was so crowded :angry:

There were several people dredging the best spots were taken before I got there but the worst part was every one from Los Angeles was. I sure it must have everyone. - standing room only and the noise and comotion. People picnicing, partying and making noise all night . I got no sleep. It is the last time I go there on a holiday weekend.

My brother and I did manage to get some gold. Some small flakes and fines.

I am looking forward to the uncrowded Moore Creek. :)

Ken

Guest keninla
Dredged at the East Fork for two days. It seemed a lot longer because it was so crowded :angry:

There were several people dredging the best spots were taken before I got there but the worst part was every one from Los Angeles was. I sure it must have everyone. - standing room only and the noise and comotion. People picnicing, partying and making noise all night . I got no sleep. It is the last time I go there on a holiday weekend.

My brother and I did manage to get some gold. Some small flakes and fines.

I am looking forward to the uncrowded Moore Creek. :)

Ken

I guess I should proof read these posts before I submit them. I left out several words. I hope it makes sense.

Hi KeninLA: I was up the San Gabriel River on Sunday and thought I spotted your Silver Dodge Pickup parked on the Riverside of the road across from the Campgrounds but no place to park. :( I have never seen that area that saturated with people.. I had a couple of my grandkids with me so we went down river and parked and let the kids play for a few minutes and then got the hell out of there. I have been going up there for forty years and the place is just going to hell as far as I am concerned :angry:

You're right! can't get in there edgewise. Most of the traffic in the area know nothing about, nor are interested in prospecting. The better places are up stream, but hiking all the equipment in is a tough deal. Then there are the boulders that one needs to winch or move...

You could always go in through Mt Baldy, and take some dirt roads into cow canyon, but with fire season approaching, that access may be shut off.

Guest keninla

My first trip into the San Gabriel Mountains was over 45 years ago. Went hunting with some friends. It was a great area for many years ; Not crowded and an enjoyable area for a teenager to have fun without getting into trouble.

After I took up prospecting I started going up there again after many years of not seeing it. What a shock. People with no respect for the mountains leaving trash everywhere. Graffiti, garbage and way too many people.

It's not quite as bad if you can get away during the week but on a weekend it is awful.

Ken