• Admin

Hello Jmax,

The Minelab GP3000 has been discontinued for some time, but is a great detector. The Minelab GP3000 came out after the GP Extreme and is the detector right before the GP3500. I found pounds of gold with the GP3000, so I know it's a great detector.

A matter of fact, my partner still uses the GP3000 and found over a pound of gold at Moore Creek, Alaska this year in one weeks time! :D However, I believe he's going to upgrade to the new GPX-4000 since he held off on the GP3500.

Do you personally own a GP3000?

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Jmax,

As for the Minelab PI's that are still available for sale (new), they would be the SD2100v2, SD2200v2, GP3500 and the new GPX-4000. The GP Extreme and GP3000 have been discontinued, but are great detectors also.

The GP series detectors will find much smaller gold, smaller gold at depth and get a bit more depth over the stock SD series. There's a lot of debate when it comes to the modded SD's vs. the GP series.

The SD2100v2 is a great detector for the price. I've seen the older models sell for as low at $800 on Ebay and some of the gold forum classifieds. The SD2200v2 is pretty much the same circuitry as the SD2100, but just with more features such as Auto Tracking, Discrimination, Auto Tuning and a few more minor features.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Dear JMax;

I have a GP3000, an SD2100 AND a GMT, all purchased from Rob of this forum. My GP3000 is a fantastic detector I am very happy with it. It's everything that Rob says it is about locating tiny gold deeper than my SD2100 is capable of doing. I do however, prefer my SD2100 in hot ground when I am using mono coils as I haven't quite figured out all of the control settings with my GP3000 yet. The SD2200 is reputed to be an awesome unit as well, although I prefer the manual adjustment of my SD2100. I like to use my 3 detectors in combination with each other to ensure maximum success in the gold fields. When I am looking for a patch in an area where there has been no prior activity, I grab the SD2100 first, then if things start looking good, I'll go back into the same spot with my GP3000. If the area has a lot of trash, I'll go in with my GMT first and pile all of the junk in one spot, then go back in with either my SD2100 or GP3000, depending on average depth, mineralization, etc. It generally takes me about a day or so to clean out the trash with my GMT but it definitely saves times in the long run, because once you go into an area with either an SD2100 or a GP3K you don't want to waste time recovering iron, aluminum and lead bits, you want to concentrate on GOLD targets. To compare the 3 detectors this way, I have sort of arrived at this conclusion:

Using a nugget with a 1/2" smooth surface area as an example, the detectors are capable of detecting it at this depth:

GMT=6" in moderate mineralization

SD2100=18" in moderate mineralization

GP3000=18" in moderate mineralization

GMT=2" to 4" in severe mineralization

SD2100=14" to 16" in severe mineralization

GP3000=12" to 14" in severe mineralization

Decreasing the surface area of the nugget to 1/4" the numbers came out like this:

GMT=6" in moderate mineralization

SD2100=14" in moderate mineralization

GP3000= 14" to 16" in moderate mineralization

GMT=2" to 3" in severe mineralization

SD2100= 8" to 10" in severe mineralization

GP3000= 12" to 14" in severe mineralization

I hope this helps.

Your friend;

LAMAR