"SAVE BUMBLE BEE & BLACK CANYON"

• Admin

Hello All,

Many of you might have heard about ADOT, Arizona Dept. of Transportation proposing a "4-Lane" Freeway each way right through the beautiful Bradshaw Mountain's. I'm one of many that are against such a Freeway passing through the Historical town of Bumble Bee and through the beautiful Black Canyon.

"Savebumblebee.org" is in need of all our help. Please check out the link below.

http://www.savebumblebee.org/index.html

I'm currently in contact with this organization and will do what I can to help.

Rob Allison

Rob. I've been following that developement myself. What an outrage!. Just a few years ago the government was wanting to include the Black Canyon in the Agua Fria monument to preserve its unique qualities and close it to mineral entry , which means no mining claims or motorized equipment to prospect. Now they want to put a freeway through it and totally destroy it? -----Bob

• Admin

Hello Bob,

Yep, this is crazy if you ask me! I'm in contact with the Organization right now and hope to post more in the near future. They have several very small "SaveBumbleBee.Org" signs located, but they are very hard to see and most just drive right past them. I think they need to place a huge sign right when you get off the payment and enter onto the Bumble Bee Road. This would attact attention of not only the gold prospectors (small group), but all the Hunters, Hikers, Backpackers, Off-Roaders, Photographers and all the people that live from Bumble Bee to Crown King!

Save Bumble Bee!!!!

Rob Allison

To play devil's advocate on this... Just how would the new route ruin the area in everyone's opinion? I've known about this for a long time and reviewed all considered routes. My personal opinion is to widen/straighten the current path and it's based in economics. Granted, cutting a new roadway that follows the existing Crown King road bed will change things but what evidence is there to say the changes will be all bad? There will no doubt be an interchange for Bumble Bee/Cleator/Crown King/Black Canyon. Heck they may even pave the crown King road. The ATV and shooters already know of the area and use it heavily so i doubt the new road will increase that traffic. In fact it may cut it down. It will raise property values in the area a little but development is happening now already so we can't point the finger at the new road on that either.

Why is it such a bad idea?

I think one example may be the Bee Line widening project near Sunflower. All those neat places you could go via 4 x 4 are still there only less visited slowing their destruction from the crowds of weekend warriors.

• Admin

Hello All,

Alison wrote me back tonight and this is what she had to say -

Rob,

Thank you so much for adding a link to your forum. It looks great. I know there are a lot of people who prospect in that area and I used to be involved in a little mining there myself. I'm hoping many from the prospecting community will be in touch with ADOT about this.

I have added you to our list and I will keep you updated. We will be planning some community meetings with ADOT in the coming months. So far we have the New River/Desert Hills association and the Black Canyon City community association working together. I'm in Mayer, and am working with the Bumble Bee Ranch. We also have people in the Bradshaw Mountain Ranches, old Cordes, Cleator and Crown King. I would really like ADOT to realize that it's not just the locals, though--people throughout the state care about this area. Since you are from Surprise, perhaps you have some thoughts about that.

Thanks for your support.

Alison Atwater

SaveBumbleBee.org

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Shadow,

In my honest opinion I think if a Super Highway went through that part of the area it would shut down all the small jeep and quad trails that many of the recreational users use today.

I do believe something needs to be done with Interstate 17 and the traffic, but hopefully ADOT will consider another proposal.

Just my opinion,

Rob Allison