Anyone Heard From Garimpo and/or Lamar Lately?

• 5 weeks later...

Dear TxKajun;

I am fine my friend. I've been using my SD2100 religiously and not doing too badly. I haven't used my GP3K as much as I probably should be, but I enjoy the barebones simplicity of the SD2100v2. It has awesome depth and it's absolutely deadly with either a 14" or an 11" CTK mono loop. I've been using my GP3K mostly as my cleanup detector and it doesn't miss very much small gold. It does especially well with DD coils, such as the Wallaby. Put the Platypus DD Pro or Joey DD Pro on it and the unit picks up flyspeck gold in all mineralization. The smaller loops are especially useful at grabbing those tiny bits of gold which are in suspension, that is, gold which is still suspended in the ground matrix and hasn't stopped travelling downwards.

My biggest nug to date is a 48.7gr dink. It's an alluvial piece with traces of quartz interposed in it. I located it in an ancient ravine (maybe one could call it a tertiary channel or river). I dug for the better part of 2 hours trying to get at it and was just about to give up on it as a chunk of bismuth when I finally got a bead on it and uncovered it. I located it with my SD2100/14" CTK mono combo and the PocketRocket battery pack. Also, I have an inner ear problem and as such I cannot use headphones very well so I was using an external amp/speaker setup. I detected it at slighly over 2' in depth and what made everything so complicated was the fact there were multiple targets in close proximity to each other. In that one hole I ended up with the 48.7 gr. piece along with a 17.2 grammer, a 6.1 grammer and several fist sized bismuth chunks. I thought I was going to have to dig up that whole damned ravine before the detector stopped sounding off.

Your friend;

LAMAR

Dear rexb;

Yeah, my friend, we are alive & well in the Southern Hemisphere. We try to keep our *finds* on the QT however. While what we're doing isn't illegal, it pays to maintain a low profile in order that it remains legal.

Your friend;

LAMAR

• Admin

Hello Lamar,

Been a long time since we talked. I still have a pretty good order sitting here on the floor for you. The last time (a long time ago) we talked you mentioned you were going to give me your shipper's address here in the US.

Glad to hear you're doing well and finding some nice gold! Stop being such a stranger. :D

Mike C. - Some might differ on your "Best" statement. :rolleyes: Yes, Lamar can be found here and Garimpo can be found on Bill's forum.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Dear TxKajun;

The *finds* around here are sort of misleading, my friend. In Bolivia it's definitely feast or famine. When I find gold, I find it in good quantity, but there are some long dry spells between finds. It seems to me that in Arizona there's much more consistency than there here is. No matter how hard an area is hammered, people always seem to be able to scare up another nugget or two. Also, being in an arid/semi-arid environment allows the detectorist to cover a large amount of ground in a minimum amount of time.

It's not like that around here. The visible gold occurs in much smaller quantities and it takes a lot of hard work in order to discover a deposit. Once a deposit has been uncovered, the recovery of multiple ounces, or even kilos is possible, but the trick is finding the occurance in the first place.

A geologist estimated that in order for visible gold to occur in Bolivia, the assay needs to be 50 grams of gold per ton of material, or more. That's a lot of earth that needs to be processed for 50 grams. And that's what I look for. I try to find occurances that are higher than 50 gr. per ton and then I work the area around the deposit. Of course I stay off the actual mine property unless I get permission to work the tailings, which has never been a problem for me thus far. I've even been invited to work the actual mines, however I am not quite brave enough (or crazy enough) to shaft mine in Bolivia.

One of the biggest problems in the altiplano is trying to locate gold nuggets amongst all of the silver outcroppings. Silver causes PI detectors to go bonkers and when it occurs in small nuggets it becomes virtually impossible to find gold nuggets, even though they may be in the same area.

Your friend;

LAMAR

Dear TXKajun;

Right, spot price is 15$ per ounce, for processed silver. Around here people are lucky to fetch $5.00 per ounce for the stuff. It does occur in large quantities here. Potosi had the richest silver deposit as yet discovered for the last 200 years or so. Lots of prospectors are able to scratch out an existence here on nothing but silver finds. I reckon I've recovered a few kilos of the stuff, however I haven't really been trying to find it. This is a HUGE problem in Bolivia. In the USA the problem is trash, but here the problem is the abundance of naturally occurring ferrous minerals. Everything from nickel and iron to bismuth, copper and silver occurs here and trying to find gold through it all can be a very daunting task indeed. Put some halide in the ground along with some silver ore and the detector just goes absolutely nuts. It's worse than black sand, my friend.

Your friend;

LAMAR