Shep goes GREEN!

and then RED, then BLUE!!!!!!!!!

Been a few places where you can't drive to or use a quad. Walking works, but I'm slow (legs suck and apparently the mind also). Wife needs a bike and I said (to myself) Yeah sure! I'm going to blow a couple of hundred dollars on a bike, that she'll use once. I'll find it smashed against a tree a 1/4 of the way up our hill and find out she hitchhiked the rest of the way up.

Well, the light bulb goes off :hmmmmmm: , I thinks to myself, I'll buy a good used mountain bike, let her try it, when she gets tired of it- WALA! I have one for detecting! :woohoo:

So's I buy one today. I tried it out in the parking lot (close to level) no problem! It's also the parking lot for McDonalds. Almost got backed over by an ol lady, before I figured out where the brakes are. Didn't go over the handlebars like I thought I was gonna do (know now, back brakes first). Figured with all the crazy people out there, this is not a good spot for Shep to relearn how to ride a bike (It's only been 43 years ago). Brought it home, put my gloves on and knee pads (Oh also read the owners manual, for gear selection. I know brakes now)

Now the road I live on, is fairly steep; altho my Chevy diesel pulls it pretty good. In my easy chair, quite often, I've seen these guys in their wossy nylons zooming up the hill; well a real mountainman can do better (I was thinking again :grrr01: ). Thank God, instead of coasting all the way to the bottom (exactly 1 mile) and zooming back up, I decided to jaunt on up to the top (1/4 mile?)first. After 3 stops to rest legs, I made it. Coasted back down. Wife was out front, worried cause I was gone so long. Ah! had no problems (the coasting down, got my normal facial colour back). She tried it while I was talking to a neighbor. She pedalled pretty good till she got behind some bushes. She didn't like that little hard seat either.

Anyone seen those little electric motors you put on the front wheel (used to see them in Popular Mechanics a hundred years ago, or so)? After 3 beers, sitting here in my garage, rubbing my calfs; contemplating my latest acquesition (sp?). :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Hi Shep,

Funny story!! :lol:

Now you didn't say if you wore one of those biker plastic safey helmets,

That would be a sight for sure, with your nifty beard flying ever

Which way while you were on the downhill ride..

Now you have tried it and tested your untested bod,

Maybe tomorrow you will feel like you

Went to see the Elephant, and he

Sat on you! :unsure:

Keep it up!!

~LARGO~

Shep, I have an old friend from Germany who used to have a bike with real small diesel motor similar to the electric one you mention, but mounted down low on the frame. You'd engage it with your foot when going up hills and it would sputter to life, and up you go. Said they were real popular back home but this was probably back in the '50s. Wish I could find one too.

Trust me all, I'd rather be on the quad (w/ a cooler of beer for the way out). Was just looking for transportation abit easier on my joints. Googled 'mountain bike seats (another issue); believe I have seat too low (closer to ground, in case I fall), not good on knees or pedal'n power! Will adjust and try again tomorrow.

AND , never will you see me in spandex; wouldn't be a pretty sight. I made a comment to the dealer about that; he didn't give me a very pleasent look :angry:

Shep

Got on the internet last night and googled MB seats and read all the info I could find. Guess I had seat adjusted too low. Raised it up to proper level. Did better going up hill, working my thighs now, instead of calfs. Still had to stop and rest, but easier on my knees.

Chris, definitely need a new softer seat. The guy up here has a few, but not what I'm looking for. Don't get to Modesto ever, but will check Fresno out next time down.

Hi Shep,

If you want to go fun green, try a Ford Escape Hybrid. It is more comfortable than the quad, can carry a larger cooler and, most of all, fun to drive. If you haven't tried one, you really should.

I just bought one the other day to get even with the oil companies and it is working. The nice thing about it is I only have to use two pedals but you can do that with the same foot. Can't tell the difference between going up hill or down. I don't get tired either way. Sure beats my bike for ease of use and the seat is more comfortable.

Now, it does use a little gas but not like my regular 4wd. Right now I am getting about 35 mpg in town or on the highway. It doesn't seem to matter. What surprised me was how spunky it is. It kicks butt when you want to pass someone.

Now, there are two really cool parts about driving this vehicle. First is the transmission, no shifting like you are accustomed to and the second is when the gas engine quits and you run on the electric motor. It is super quiet when running on the electric motor. As for the transmission, it is sort of like the Polaris ATV in how it changes speed. Ford calls it the CVT or continuous variable transmission.

Anyway, if you want to sort of go green and still want a SUV that does have some clearance, you might want to try one. They really are easier to pedal.

Personally, I wish I would have purchased one sooner. Waiting did help cost wise since I picked up a used one at a reasonable price.

Reg

Reg, FURD???? Not in my lifetime!

The idea was to get into fire danger areas and no motorized vechicle areas. Trust me, if I could take my quad, I would. Walking during detecting doesn't bother me. It's the humping up and down hills getting there and coming back, that gets my legs.

The bike riding up and down my hill doesn't seem to bother my hips, knees or ankle; just the muscles. I'm doing a short trip once or twice a day and it's getting better.

I got the beer thing figured out. Grubby carries so much stuff in his backpack, I'm sure I could sneak one or two in and he'd never notice B)

Yeh your right Shep I do! I carry, extra headphones, extra power cords, a gallon of water, tape, raidio, fire starter kit, a couple of knives, a space blanket, extra, coil nuts and bolts, my pistol, extra ammo, my pick, hipstick, and a couple of extra bungies. Grubstake

Yeh your right Shep I do! I carry, extra headphones, extra power cords, a gallon of water, tape, raidio, fire starter kit, a couple of knives, a space blanket, extra, coil nuts and bolts, my pistol, extra ammo, my pick, hipstick, and a couple of extra bungies. Grubstake

Grub we should change your name to Outpost :blink:

Shep on a bike :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Yeh I believe in having what I need with me, so I don't have to go two miles back to the truck when I need it. Best thing I have with me is some strong friends to pack my butt out if need be!Grubstake :P:P

Hey Shep, instead of a moutain bike, how about a UNI-cycle, that would leave both hands free for digging and detecting, less friction, because it only has one wheel, And do they call them UNI-cycles because a man or woman can ride them? Just a thought. Grubstake :o;););)

Guest sandtrap

The BLM down here has an adopt a horse or burro thing going on all the time. If you got one of the burro's, you would look just like the before shown picture.. You could even pose (for money), and let the touristas up there pay for your expenses... Just a thought??

Cooter, I am figuring out my limitations with this project. Probably the best plus is, I can't smoke and drink beer while pedalling. Seem to make up for it tho, when I get back to my "hole" :rolleyes: