Rich Hill

Hi All:

In 03 I was at Stanton and BSing with another Prospector. He had been out there on several occasions and was full of info. Looking up at the Hill, I was interested in an area that sits just north of the old worked WW11 mines. Its a sharp pointed peak with a saddle near it. I heard that Tom Massie had went up there to an old mine, and was forced to spend the night due to running out of light. This guy told me that LDMA had a claim up there, but getting up there is a challenge, and his legs wouldn't take it. He told me that he knew of some college guys who had made the climb. I also was told that an old relic Model T-Ford is up there, along with rock foundation debris from an old Hooch. He said that the old Model-T was used for powering a tram from below.

If my memory serves me right, I saw a Gold Fever Show a few years later, that showed Massie up there and hanging on an old steel cable to assist in a climb.

If its hard to get to, (and it looks like it is), then we all know its worth checking out. Maybe next year when it cools down?

Later

Butch

If Mr. T. Massie was hanging from a cable and a camera was on him, it's always possible he was clowning around and being a little dramatic for the camera, but I haven't seen that particular show. I guess it's always possible that there is a functioning cable pull of sorts up there?

• Admin

Hello Butch,

I believe I know what mine you're talking about. However, if it's the same one you now have to pass over Private Property. The new owner isn't the nicest person to deal with! Many of the Rich Hill mines are located way up the mountain side. I scanned a lot of the tailings with an earlier VLF and never had any luck finding specimens.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

HI ROB AND BUTCH

ROB YOUR A 100% RIGHT THE TOP OF THAT MINE IS THE TOP END OF HIS PROPERTY

AFTER HAVING A BUNCH OF THINGS TAKEN OUT OF HIS MINE HE IS A LITTLE HARD TO DEAL WITH

I GUESS I MIGHT FEEL THE SAME WAY IF SOMEONE RIPPED ME OFF

LATER GUYS

JIM WADDILL

Actually, guys, I think the LDMA gave up that claim because it overlapped Elly's, at least on the southern half, although I still show the northern portion existing on my Rich Hill club claims map......That's some tough ground...I have permission to hunt the private ground and I did it one time...After clambering over catsclaw bound boulders and pretty much busting my ass, I got to where the nuggets were supposed to be and every swing of the detector was screams from rusty cans and such...Wadn't worth the climb....Its like beeping on a tin roof...Cheers, Unc

Hi Rob...Yep...Gettin' way back in there to some new ground I've got all to my lonesome out in the Vulture area...I love to watch Vulture Peak light up toward sundown when the sun is this low in the sky this time of year...Quite a spectacular show...Somebody followed me a week ago...I dodged into a catclaw choked wash and hid as they putted by...They'd stop, turn off their engine and listen for mine, then move 50 feet and do it again...Went on for about 10 minutes...At one point they were only about 50 feet from me...I don't know who they were, but were on a motorcycle...Had a beeper on the back...I didn't like it much...Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron:

Sounds like you and Rob have already done the hard work up there. It does look like rough going. I've heard there isn't any place around the Stanton area that hasn't been touched by a human. When I first went out there I thought I was in a very remote place, (lots quartz). Got a loud signal. Piece of an old Prince Albert Can, yes, I let him out :P

Later

Butch