sd 2000 vs sd2100

• Admin

Hello Ken,

The Minelab SD2000 was the first Pulse Induction (PI) detector from Minelab. This metal detector pretty much made all the old VLF goldfields virgin once again. Many prospectors were finding not only ounces, but many pounds in old mineralized patches.

The SD2100 was the next detector to be released after the SD2000. The major difference between the two was increased sensitivity and depth over the SD2000. Now, I'm talking stock to stock units, not SD2000 mods vs. SD2100's.

I found a lot of gold with the SD2000, but realized I missed a bunch that I later found with the SD2100.

The SD2000 has been long discontinued, but still a hot item for the Aussie's with the mods.

The SD2100 is still around, but is now called the SD2100v2 (version 2).

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Ken,

Who can say about the differences between the SD2100 and the SD2100v2.

Like Rob, I'm not conviced about the differences. Minelab's cookie cutter abilities have come into question, especially regarding older models. My guess is that variances would be found between one 2100d to the next and so on and so on.

I think what's important here is having confidence in the machine that you own or moving to one that you do have confidence in.

There are a lot of used SD's in good condition around if you are willing to wait. Keep an eye on the classifieds here and elsewhere. B)

Thanks Rob, Ted, and Hammer. I have been watching both of your forums . I am only in Arizona for another month so if I don't see a good deal soon, I'll wait a while and save up a few more $$$$ . Should I be able to pick up a decent used 2100 for around $1000- 1200? Ken

• Admin

Hello Ted and Ken,

Ted - I agree with you. I think some put too much into "this one is better than that one" rather than spending time on research and exploring new areas.

Ken - I've seen the original version of the SD2100 go as low and $800 on the forums, but most will probably range from $1000 - $1200 like you stated.

Take care,

Rob Allison