Older style Pocket Rocket useable on GPX4000?

• Admin

Hello Shadow,

No, the older SD/GP Pocket Rocket System won't work on the GPX-4000 even with the 4-5 pin adapter. The GPX shuts down at 7.2-7.3 volts, while that is the max voltage on the SD/GP system. Now if you have all the stuff from a prior Pocket Rocket system you might just invest in a GPX-4000 regulator only.

Just one addition to that though, some of the older li-ion batteries that worked great on the SD/GP regultor might not work on the new GPX-4000 regulator. I have no clue why, but I've had several of them trip out and will not work properly on the newer system.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Getting ready to move into a GPX and wanted to know if my Pocket Rocket I have used on my 2100 can work on the 4000? It makes sense to me it shouldn't be a problem except for the connection but doesn't someone make a connector to allow its use?

Thnx...

If you are talking about a battery pack I think the Gold center click here sells an adapter for older battery packs so they will work on the GPX , the site is down at the moment but they should be able to help you out when they are back online

Martin

Well there you go Rob got it in one .

• Admin

Hello Shadow,

There are advantages and disadvantages to both I guess. The stock GPX battery is much bigger in size and can't be mounted to the side of the metal detector. However, the stock battery will last longer per single battery over the Coiltek Pocket Rocket System. With the stock GPX battery, you're required to use the longer stock or aftermarket power cord, which will have a great change of snagging on trees and brush if they are around. I've broken more power cords by snags.

The advantages of the Pocket Rocket are (1) Size, smaller than any other system available and can be easily mounted to the side of your metal detector. (2) Weight, lightest battery system available @ 14 ounces. (3) Two 7800mah li-ion batteries are included, which will last approx. 12-16 hours combined. (4) Comes with short power cord to elliminate all that potential snagging.

Price is $275 for the complete Coiltek Li-Ion system. A stock replacement (or spare) GPX battery is $349.97

If you like wearing the stock harness or aftermarket backpack, they the stock battery might be right for you. However, I like the idea of being free from another dangling power cord.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

The advantages of the Pocket Rocket are (1) Size, smaller than any other system available and can be easily mounted to the side of your metal detector.

If you like wearing the stock harness or aftermarket backpack, they the stock battery might be right for you. However, I like the idea of being free from another dangling power cord.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Well size does matter Rob (oakwoody already knows this of course :rolleyes: ) so I think I want to stay with the Pocket Rocket on my GPX. Can you get just the regulator for it so I can continue to use my current batt's? Even better... Do you have one in stock now for use this weekend?

• Admin

Hello Shadow,

Yes, I have the single GPX-4000 regulator or the complete system. The regulator alone is $159.95, or $275 for the entire system.

P.S. Just to warn you, some of the older li-ion 7800mah batteries don't seem to work on the GPX regulator. I've had a few that worked great and a few that didn't. Go figure ....

Let me know,

Rob Allison