I was bored on this Saturday, and stuck at home so I decided to post a photo of a specimen that I found last spring. This is the only surviving piece that I broke from a piece of ore that orignally weighed 8-1/2 ounces.

This piece of high-grade is one of many the old timers left behind in a tailing pile. I have made several bush buttons from this stuff.

Good luck everyone in your prospecting adventures. I might get to go next weekend. :D

Gus-

• Admin

Hello Gus,

Great looking specimen. Amazing how much gold in some spots the old-timers tossed away. It's pretty hard to check every single rock, but just gives you an idea what they were finding. :o

I'm sure a lot of those high-grade specimens were discarded (or mucked up) when they were blasting into the high-grade going from the non-economic ore and just the opposite, blasting away from the high-grade ore back into the normal run of the mill ore.

There was someone that determined what ore got dumped onto the tailings vs. what ore was going to the mill to be crushed. I'm sure that guy had pockets full of rich gold ore! :unsure:

Rob Allison

Hi guys,

Rob-

I am sure your right about this guy having his pockets full of rich ore. There is no way he left as much behind as he did without taking some real nice stuff.

Ron-

I will leave this piece as is, It wont hit the dolly pot.

But you're right, there was several pieces of this stuff that I probably should have left in tacked as specimen pieces. But :rolleyes: O-well I had fun crushing them and exposing all the pretty gold locked within.

Thats pretty amazing that your big nugget had no detectable siblings.

Probably still a a vein somewhere... Good luck in your search.

Gus-

Another piece of ore

Crushing in dolly pot

Fresh gold right out of the rock

A couple of the gold buttons