GPX-4500 Question

• Admin

Hello All,

Today I noticed my GPX-4500 was running very quiet and smooth. I didn't have no complaints, but it just seems much more stable than normal at this location. After several hours of hunting I picked up 5 small nuggets, so the detector was running well. However, about an hour later the volume doubled all of a sudden.

I believe the booster wasn't working the first part of the day, but for some reason it clicked on later doubling the volume. A friend said he noticed this with his GPX-4500 and had to shut it down and restart for the booster to fire up.

Anyone else experience this?

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob

I have just experienced what you are describing, when testing a mod to my B&Z to allow use of the internal amp when in the Bypass position. I won’t pretend to understand what is going on but here but as you say I could get the volume to double normally after I gave it a good signal.

My observations may help you sort it out.

If using an external amp such as B&Z, make sure the Jack going into the battery is a mono plug.

If using internal amp you need a stereo plug going into the battery with only the Tip and Ring connected to the speaker, the sleeve must be open circuit. (Use of stereo/mono adaptor jacks, confuses things further as they reintroduce the sleeve circuit)

If you are using some form of inline booster then you will need a techo to have a look at it to achieve the same result as above.

Regards

Spinifex

• Admin

Hello Spinifex,

I thought I might of had it figured out with a Stereo/Mono switch on my headphones. However, it didn't matter what position the switch was in, the volume and signal was the same. I'm not using any type of external speaker(s), just headphones for now.

I guess I'm back to square one and will monitor it when it happens again. Hopefully it wont ...

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison