FIRST TIME TO GO TO MOORE CREEK, I CANT WAIT!

HELLO EVERYONE, I have been reading all of your post and suggestions for a while now and have learned a few things about nugget hunting. I will be making my first trip to Moore Creek on the forth week, I cant wait. I have been wanting to do something like this for several years, more for the adventure than just the gold, although a pocket full of gold nuggets would be nice. Metal detecting is something i have done but I am no way a pro at it. Since I am in Arkansas I have not had much experience detecting for gold by do have a few nuggets, i have heard of a few spots where there might be some gold in Ar. but have never looked.

Anyway, I would like some advice for my trip. Along with my GPX4000 i have 8 extra coils, how many should I bring? I have a NF16" , NF14" , NF10" , round mono's NF12"X24" , NF11"X17" , NF 7"X14" , NF5"X9" ellipical mono's also a Minelab 8" commander mono round. I also have a Whites GMT should I even bring it?

Also does any one know how many lithium ion batteries you can take on the plane, i would like to take one of my large Minelab battery, my 2 pocket rockets, a camcorder, and a digital camera. With the new restrictions for batteries on planes, I am unsure if this will be allowed. Thanks Rob for the pocket rockets and your advice. good luck at Moore Creek.

• Admin

Hello Bryan,

Great to see you here posting. As for coils, you have one problem, they are all NF coils (just kidding). LOL :wacko: My suggestion would be to bring one decent sized Mono and DD. I know the GPX-4000 due to its sensitive will find faint, deep Basalts at Moore Creek with a Mono coil. To elliminate finding these occasional Basalts, you might consider a DD or DD Pro for better immunity to mineralization. The tailing piles and ground are pretty mild mineralization, but there are some hotrocks (mostly volcanics).

I'm still uncertain about the Li-Ion batteries. That would suck if you can only take (2) li-ions. That means you would have to leave your camcorder, digital camera and other items that require a li-ion battery behind. You will need at least two batteries for your detector, if not more just in case one didn't charge.

Someone mentioned the TSA site talks about li-ion batteries, but I have yet to really sit down and read it.

Anyone know the short version of this li-ion deal on planes? :unsure:

Wishing you the best of luck at Moore Creek!

Rob Allison

Hi Evryone!

I found this INFO after doing a search! IT IS A CORE DUMP OF INFORMATION.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/

There are also links to the TSA site for further guidlines, but I have copied and pasted MOSDT of them here.

Also at the end of this information are the guidlines for delcaring a gun that you might be transporting.

Also remember the 3-1-1 rule

3 0z fluid bottles-1 one quart plastic bag (ziplock) to 1 person.

For larger liquid size containers: you must declare them and they do not need to be in a plastic bag. These accepted items include: medications, baby formula and food, breat milk for all you who are still nursing! ( I just couldn't help but throw that one out there) and juices! This is what the site list!

I have seen them confinscate the juices and softdrinks. In my international and domestic travels, juices and softdrinks can be taken on the plane and the guidline was it had to be purchased after the security check point.

And to avoid the stress associated with travel arrive early. A lot early if you have any of the special items that might require you to spend a lot of time going through check in and the TSA security screening. I usually get to check in 3 hours before the depature time. Just to be able to deal with all of the pain of air travel! Keep a cool head when dealing with the TSA people. If you find you have a knuckle head doing the screaning, politely ask for a supervisor to speak with you. Not everyone hears and retains the training information. That is another reason why I give myself 3 hours of lead time before the flight takes off! I can deal with the uninformed or get back to my car with the gear I can't take with me and still make the flight. And then even the best made plans can get goofed up!

And schedule your flight directly to Anchorage with out any stops or transfers. You will have a better chance of having your checked luggage arrive with you! Take two checked bags and divide your clothes and gear between the bags! So that with any bag arriving you will still be able to detect and have a change of clothes!

With it being warm up at Moore Creek! Get your BUG chemicals and Bug hood/gear and carry the bug gear in your carry on. I spent about 120 dollars on pants and shirt with a built in hood and and extra stand alone hood from "The Original Bug Shirt Company" http://www.bugshirt.com/

And I am also going to apply a DEET spray to my jeans and shirts that will last for about 2 weeks with washings as a repellant.

But all this aside! I can't wait and am looking forward to getting up there!

Regards

Karl

New DOT Rule for Passengers Traveling with Lithium Batteries

DOT's rule on lithium batteries in air travel, which took effect on January 1, 2008, prohibits carriage of spare lithium batteries in checked baggage, such as large suitcases you hand over to the airline for handling. If you put a portable electronic device in checked baggage, you may still do so with the batteries installed in the device.

In carry-on baggage, you may still carry any number of some types of lithium batteries, such as the ones used in cell phones and most laptop computers, provided you take measures to protect terminals. You may also carry up to two more powerful batteries, within the limits described here.

See our What's New page for details of the rule!

Welcome to SafeTravel.dot.gov, your source for tips to help travelers get to their destinations quickly and safely!

SafeTravel involves more than government regulations, including giving travelers the best advice and expertise of interested parties within the travel industry, as well as within government.

So even if your travel plans are technically within U.S. DOT regulations, SafeTravel aims to bring you safe practices to employ when packing and traveling.

And that means fewer delays for the traveling public, and many, many more incident-free trips!

CHART FOR CHART WITH PICTURES GO TO:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/quick_chart.html

Click on any term in blue and bold to go to that term's definition. Click on the mini-menu above to learn more about the details of new lithium battery rules for passengers.

Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage.

You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage. Please see our Spare Battery Tips and How-To sections to find out how to pack spare batteries safely!

If you pack a device containing batteries, secure it against activation by locking the activation switch in the "off" position, placing the device in a protective case, or by other appropriate measures.

For personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This is the case for cell phone batteries, "hearing aid" button cells, and AA batteries/AAA batteries available in retail stores, as well as almost all standard laptop computer batteries.

See "Larger Batteries" to find out about more powerful batteries, such as extended-life "universal batteries" and batteries designed for professional audio-visual applications.

Hopefully it will help

New DOT Rule for Passengers Traveling with Lithium Batteries

DOT's rule on lithium batteries in air travel, which took effect on January 1, 2008, prohibits carriage of spare lithium batteries in checked baggage, such as large suitcases you hand over to the airline for handling. If you put a portable electronic device in checked baggage, you may still do so with the batteries installed in the device.

In carry-on baggage, you may still carry any number of some types of lithium batteries, such as the ones used in cell phones and most laptop computers, provided you take measures to protect terminals. You may also carry up to two more powerful batteries, within the limits described here.

See our What's New page for details of the rule!

Welcome to SafeTravel.dot.gov, your source for tips to help travelers get to their destinations quickly and safely!

SafeTravel involves more than government regulations, including giving travelers the best advice and expertise of interested parties within the travel industry, as well as within government.

So even if your travel plans are technically within U.S. DOT regulations, SafeTravel aims to bring you safe practices to employ when packing and traveling.

And that means fewer delays for the traveling public, and many, many more incident-free trips!

Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Air Travel

Travel Alert!: Effective January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation will prohibit loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.

Effective January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) will no longer allow loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.

Learn more at http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html.

Some Tips for Safe Travel With Batteries

Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.

Buy batteries from reputable sources and only use batteries approved for your device – avoid counterfeits! A counterfeit battery is more likely to cause a fire in your equipment – costing you more in the long run, and compromising safety.

Look for the mark of an independent testing or standards organization, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).

Do not carry recalled or damaged batteries on aircraft. Check battery recall information at the manufacturer's website, or at the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Only charge batteries which you are sure are rechargeable! Non-rechargeable batteries are not designed for recharging, and become hazardous if placed in a battery charger. A non-rechargeable battery placed in a charger may overheat or cause damage later.

Only use a charger compatible with your rechargeable battery – don’t mix and match!

If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating the batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry.

Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents short-circuiting.

Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short-circuit, resulting in overheating.

If you must carry a battery-powered device in any baggage, package it to prevent inadvertent activation. For instance, you should pack a cordless power tool in a protective case, with a trigger lock engaged. If there is an on-off switch or a safety switch, tape it in the "off" position.

Lithium Batteries: Safety and Security

Lithium-ion batteries, often found in laptop computers, differ from primary lithium batteries, which are often used in cameras. Some newer AA-size batteries are also primary lithium.

While there is no explosion hazard associated with either kind of battery, the Federal Aviation Administration has studied fire hazards associated with both primary and lithium-ion cells, and their extensive research is publicly available. As a result of this research, the FAA no longer allows large, palletized shipments of these batteries to be transported as cargo on passenger aircraft.

The research also shows that an explosion will not result from shorting or damaging either lithium-ion or primary lithium batteries. Both are, however, extremely flammable. Primary lithium batteries cannot be extinguished with firefighting agents normally carried on aircraft, whereas lithium-ion batteries are easily extinguished by most common extinguishing agents, including those carried on board commercial aircraft.

TSA has and will continue to work closely with the FAA on potential aviation safety and security issues, and TSA security officers are thoroughly and continually trained to find explosive threats. TSA does not have plans to change security regulations for electronic devices powered by lithium batteries.

Click here for more travel tips.

Traveling with Special Items

Firearms & Ammunition

You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.

The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.

The container must be locked.

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

Take your 4000 battery and your pocket rocket setup make sure you have your chargers, put your batteries in your checked luggage, I would put each one in a separate baggie. Bring your standard DD your 8" mono and the 14x7 elliptical or 14" round, if you had a Waterproof coil I would bring that. There are only a couple of places that you could really use your 16" and that is around camp and 5oz flats so that is up to you, I would not bring it myself. Leave the GM home if you want to use a VLF which I doubt there will be a GB2 on site.....Bug dope is important also some small bungees to close up your pants at the bottom. Lite long sleeve shirts are good, better if they have cuffs that are elastic like and close up pretty tight, sun glasses are ok if they arent too dark your preference a good hat a good headnet or bug shirt with headnet.... I hear it has been warm and the bugs will be waiting for you..Good boots are a must oil them up before you come and keep them oiled a good pair of slippers is OK too they will be handy at nite and for lounging around...Good Hunting Geo