GROUND BALANCE MINELAB GP3000?

HI ALL, NEW HERE, HAVE BEEN READING YOUR POSTS FOR SOME TIME NOW.

ANYWAYS CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME EXACTLY HOW TO GROUND BALANCE MY GP3000 FROM TURNING THE MACHINE THRU THE GROUND BALANCE STEPS.

ALSO SHOULD I BE HUNTING IN TRACKING MODE WHEN I HAVE ALOT OF HOT ROCKS?

I HAVE BEEN USING THIS MACHINE FOR 6 MOS. AND HAVE FOUND A COUPLE NUGGETS, ALL SHALLOW. I JUST SEEM TO FEEL I AM NOT GROUND BALANCING THE MACHINE PROPERLY.

THANKS, HLO

• Admin

Hello Hlo,

With the Minelab GP3000 you have two ground balance modes, the "Fixed" or "Tracking." The Tracking mode is auto tracking, or adjusting to the ground conditions automatically for you as you swing along. The Tracking mode is better for high mineralized ground conditions or places that might have a lot of ironstones or volcanics. The Tracking mode can track out very faint targets if you're not careful in mineralized ground condtions. In the "Tracking" mode you don't have to pump the coil up or down, just swing it side to side and the GP3000 will balance for you.

The "Fixed" mode is my favorite. In fixed, you lock the ground balance so it don't change. To do this you must have your GP3000 in the "Tracking" mode to balance the unit by pumping the coil up and down 3-4-inches from the ground. When you get a nice solid threshold tone then flip the switch back to the "Fixed" mode. You have to do this all in one motion, pumping and flipping the switch back. You will now be locked onto the ground and any little variation in the ground or a metal target will give you a signal response. At any time you think you might be out of balance, you can check by pumping the coil up and down about 3-4-inches from the ground. If you hear a postive response when you lower the coil, then you're slightly out of balance and you need to re-balance using the procedure above.

I prefer "Fixed" since I know I won't miss any faint targets if you're working slow and paying close attention to the what the detector is telling you.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison