Compass AU 52

I have located one of these and should have it in a week or so. Can anyone tell me about different coils for this machine? I have seen pictures of an 8" round and a 9" elliptical.

Is it possible to use the White's 50 kHz coils on this 52 kHz machine?

Any other info much appreciated.

Rick K

I have located one of these and should have it in a week or so. Can anyone tell me about different coils for this machine? I have seen pictures of an 8" round and a 9" elliptical.

Is it possible to use the White's 50 kHz coils on this 52 kHz machine?

Any other info much appreciated.

Rick K

Rick, I use to have a Compass gold scanner, fine detector, don't let anyone kid you about that, Compas will only take compass coils, unless you have the others wired to work, The eliptical is a fine gold coil, great depth, and the diss. on the detector is one of the best I've ever seen on a gold detector. I tell you what, turn the diss. al the way up, hold the coil about a foot from a truck, door, and swing it, it won't make a sound. then without truning a dial, put a quarter on the ground. I bet you will be surprised to see it beeps load and clear. Doe's great on gold too. Grubstake

Guest Mike C...

Hi Rick I had a AU 52 years ago and it was a really good sensitive gold beeper-but the coil falsed alot on it--I got use to it and found lots of little dinks with it--as far as using other non compass coils it probably won't work and I was unaware of any other coils other than the stock 5X10 elliptical coil-it does have a full discrimination control on it which makes it possible to coin hunt with--compass also made a AU2000 which had two different frequencies to choose from--I think it was 14Khz and then 52Khz which made it even more versatile--have fun with your new toy :blush:-Hope this helps-Mike C... :ph34r:

Grubstake- :excl: -although a few people used the old (14Khz) compass goldscanners for nugget hunting they were actually meant to be coin beepers and are a different detector than the AU52/2000 series :rolleyes:

Gosh what good memories... You-all have taken me down "memory lane" back in what

seems to be a kinder and gentler time.... I sorta got involved with Compass back in their

early days through Kay Modgling.

All of you are correct about the Compass detectors.... The Gold Scanners (as were the AU

line) developed under the direction of Compass chief engineer Mr. John Earle. Mr. George

Paine came aboard and developed the "coin detectors" of which I know little...

The Compass Gold Scanners operated at 13.77 kHz... The standard coil was a circular

8-inch concentric... but an optional DD, which was also 8-inch circular was developed...

Jack L. and I were selected to be early testers... Jack the GS-pro (with the analogue meter,

an industry breakthough as it was fast and acurate); while I was testing the non-

metered GS. Jack preferred the Concentric coils and I preferred the DD's. Just happened

that way. Back then there were lots of "bread and butter" small and shallow nuggets.

Jack went full time for several years and being first in many areas recovered considerable

shallow and surface gold... from specks to multi-ounces...

Compass developed autotune and Compass (The engineer at this time was Don

Dykstra and his initals were DD) developed the DD coil... Also Mr. Earle developed the

9-inch eliptical DD for the Au series. However, at this time Mr. Ron Mack was no longer

associated with Compass management and it was on the "skids" and as it was noted by

Mike C. the early AU coils as off the the assembly line falsed a lot due to flexing...

At the end, Mr. Earle had developed a good non flexing coil... but only a few may have

been produced as it was at this time, Compass as we (then) knew it "bit the dust" and

came up with other products such as the "depth doubler." But Steve Goss (wife Sue)

has kept the Compass repair center alive by doing both warranty and non-warranty repair.

Also Steve may still be making some various makes of Compass detectors...

Grubstake... as you remember when you, me, Allen and Hye, were beeping in Randsburg;

Hye was using his AU 2000. He still has and uses it. I had the AU 52 and I traded it for

a paint job on my 1954 Chevy Belaire... Then I had misgivens and tried to get it back

but couldn't.

I still have a Gold Scanner Pro... as well as other Compass stuff... Mr. Mack gave me a box

of old Compass IB small parts when he left Compass to give away as needed... Over the

years I have given most of the small parts away... I still have a 77-B, 240 magnum and a

Challenger X-100 (which I last used in 1991)... too big and heavy for me as it weighs about

6.5 pounds... Also I have an assortment coils for the Scanners and X-100...

However... I was never as successful as others such a Grubstake!... Gary, Keep on

posting.... !!!!