Minelab 2100 question?

I just bought my first Minelab detector, the 2100 old green box and I outfitted it with a Coiltek Pocket Rocket and with Doc's Gold Screamer. Also got the Black Widow head phones.

The problem is, it seems less stable than it was without the Gold Screamer enhancer. Is it so much more sensitive that it picks up more interference? or I just don't know how to adjust it?

Should I turn the volume on the enhancer all the way up or what? The only way I have tried it is with the volume wide open.

I would appreciate any advice from you Minelab pros. :wacko:

Jim

G'day Cougar Jim. You got a real good set up there.

The 2100 is a great machine, the pocket rocket is the way to go.

I don't know that enhancer but I've tried plenty of others, and they ALL distort if you wind them right up.

Unless you have volume controls on the earphones like my mate grubstake to adjust the output, I would suggest you turn the volume right up on the control box and then take the enhancer up to where you hear real well. (maybe half way)

Then wave the coil over junk to make sure that the sound doesn't blow your head off.

All you really need is to hear the threshold well, so you can hear any slight tug, break or anything that is not normal threshold, you can miss deep targets if you don't hear the really faint sounds with the 2100 but they are a great detector and do go deep.

Don't know the Black Widow phones either but I hear that they are very good.

PS, grab one of Rob's goldstalkers, great coils. :)

Thanks Grub & inhere

I am testing at home but I live way out of town. There is power lines with a transformer about 100 ft from where I was testing. Maybe that was the problem, I will have to take it further away and try it.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Jim,

The amp will make it seem as though the detector is more unstable, but whats really going on is you're hearing everything the detector is picking up. Try first to use the tune control to reduce the interference. Switching the Pocket Rocket to the GP voltage may also help to reduce the interference some. This will reduce depth and sensitivity some but not much. If the detector is too noisy you won't be able to hear faint targets anyway, so don't be afraid to detune the detector a bit. One other thing that can make a big difference is the coil. Big coils pick up more interference than small coils. I use a 11" round mono for areas that have lots of interference.

If the interference is low then I use larger coils like the N/F 17" E Mono or the C/T 14" round Mono. Noisy ground can be combated by a slow sweep speed, this will make ground noise drag out longer. A target will still make a sharper signal. I like to run the headphones volume all the way up and adjust the amps volume for comfort, but I may be missing something here. Gary I'm sure is way ahead of me on this. And if you ever get to thinking you aren't getting good depth on large gold, forget it, that machine has great depth on large gold. When I loaned my 2100 to a coworker, his first weekend out he found a 1.25 oz nug at 3 feet using the 11" round M/L coil. He came back to work with 2 ozs of gold and a **** eating grin on his face.

Riverman

Riverman,

I am using the 11" round Mono. It's not much of a noise problem, it's more of a warbling thing like a constance up and down threshold sound. I think it is the transformer that's about a 100 ft from where I am testing. I will find out when I take it out away from that.

Jim

I agree with Riverman, the 2100's are great machines. one of my favorites, but they don't do well in high interference areas. With a big mono in an outlaying area their hard to beat on big deep gold. but let me put it this way, if your near power lines or you can get good cell reception your probably also going to get a lot of back ground warbling or pulsing. ;) Take care Aznuggetbob

Hey Jim

I run the 2200v2 with pocket rocket and gold screamer amp. I turn the amp about 3/4 on and adjust the headphone. I get the same wobbly threshold around my house, but it clears up when I get out in the country. Cell towers are my biggest problem. they got one on every hill around here. I still hunt around power lines and cell towers. I carry a 4 grain nugget in a vial and throw it on the ground just to see if I can hear it. If I cant get a repeatable signal from it I just move on.

Thanks

Todd