One More For The Road

The weather was nice,85 degrees. Had to get out and do some detecting,only had a few hours but came home with a nice specimen. For those interested I was using the GMT. SAT. at 7, GAIN at 7. The signal was faint with one bar on the graph. At about 10 inches in depth the ID said METAL TO CLOSE TO COIL with a loud scream. I knew it had to be a shovel or pick head. Dug about 4 inches deeper and removed two more rocks from the hole, then the signal disappeared. Picked up one rock and nothing,picked up the second rock and it screamed. Washed off the clay and this is what it looked like.

Total depth 14 inches,not bad for a GMT.

Chuck,

Beautiful specimen! I hope you find a bunch more. Does it sound off on a Minelab? I know people say that a lot of specimen gold is better detected with a VLF rather than a PI. Just curious if you have tested any of the specimens that you have found with a PI. Also, have you thought about having some of the quartz rock crushed in quantity? Sorry to ask so many questions and I promise this to be the last one, but do you crush the specimens that you find, keep them, or have them slabbed? You would be amazed at what they can turn out to look like slabbed and polished. Thanks for posting your finds. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

Chuck,

Beautiful specimen! I hope you find a bunch more. Does it sound off on a Minelab? I know people say that a lot of specimen gold is better detected with a VLF rather than a PI. Just curious if you have tested any of the specimens that you have found with a PI. Also, have you thought about having some of the quartz rock crushed in quantity? Sorry to ask so many questions and I promise this to be the last one, but do you crush the specimens that you find, keep them, or have them slabbed? You would be amazed at what they can turn out to look like slabbed and polished. Thanks for posting your finds. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

Hay matt

Don't mind answering any questions if I can. So here goes , miner matt brought his 4000 up one weekend, think he had the platypus coil on it , anyway he dug a hand full of square nails with a few other odds and ends.

While we were taking a break he asked to see a couple specimens I had found earlier. Matt ran them across his coil with no results. He said his detector could not see that kind of gold . Don't know if the larger specimens we find will sound off but the smaller ones won't.

And yes we have sampled the rock on the dump,not much gold in the majority of the quartz. This was a pocket mine.

The gold formed where other veins hit but did not cross the main vain. The old timers followed the main vain to find the cutter vains.

Yes I have crushed the smaller ones but most I keep.

Have only slabbed a few that I could not see the gold in them. See Photo

these are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and 1 1/2" x 2"

Have a Good Day, Chuck

post-19442-1221697439_thumb.jpg

post-19442-1221697573_thumb.jpg

Chuck,

Thanks for answering my questions. I agree with you about the nice specimens not being slabbed or crushed. I had a specimen slabbed that was real ugly on the outside, but after having El Dorado slab it and polish the slabs, I am glad I had it cut. There are a lot of options with the slabs. I am going to have El Dorado make a custom money clip with one of the slabs and my wife gets a nice custom pendant for Christmas this year. The link below is for a post that El Dorado did for his money clip. You may have to cut and paste the link. Take care.

Cheers,

matt

http://golddredger.com/dcforum/DCForumID14/43.html