White Rock On Rich Hill

I keep running into a white rock on Rich Hill that sets my GPX off like a giant nugget. It won't ground balance out. I don't know if there is a golden potato underneath or if the mineral monsters are messing with me. I got a signal between two boulders, the deeper I went the louder it got but if I used my coil to pinpoint and touched one of the rocks it went off like gang busters but the other didn't seem to react at all. Should I just memorize this rock and treat it as a hot rock?

Thanks

Junker

junker

There is a lot of hot bedrock and boulders on Rich Hill. Most are more Yellow looking and you will notice Iron deposits in the rock itself. When I get a signal like you are talking about, I take a loose magnet and set it on the hot spot. If the magnet sticks, it is iron in the rock. If it doesn't stick, I keep on digging. :rolleyes:

• Admin

Hey Junker,

Just like Dutchman stated, many of the Granite rocks contain iron seams that can be very hot to even a Minelab metal detector. If you're using a GPX series, the Sensitive/Smooth or Enhance timings pretty much ignore these, but if you're running Sensitive/Extra or Normal timings some of the Granite screams!

When it doubt, move the rock if you can. I've found many nice nuggets under Granite rocks up there at Rich Hill. Sometimes it's just the rock, other times it's a gold nugget.

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison