California - Hiking for prospecting area's

Hey Everyone,

Yesterday I decided to hike and look for some places where I can swing my coil in the future, I talked to a Realtor in the area that hikes the areas and he told me of some areas that have some tailings and said if I wanted to get there I would have to hike a bit.... so I did.....on my way there along a creek I noticed a piece of metal on the side of the hill, looked like a small, small BBQ but as I got closer it appears to be some type of exhaust, of it is connected to a pipe in the ground, I am guessing that there is a mine nearby which I have no desire to go into to so I kept hiking.

So what do you think? possible exhaust pipe to a mine?

Oh yea, I also found a claim marker about 1.5 miles east of it on the side of the hill under many trees, it was a 4x4 (lumber, not truck :wacko: ) painted white, most the writing was gone but I could make out 1990, it was still standinging but rotted at the base.

All in all it turned out to be a very nice day for a hike and to take pictures.

Thanks

Tony Teixeira

Tony,

Glad you had sometime to get out and explore for new hunting areas. Things to look for when out and about are just the things you seen on your hike. Old metal things like your BBQ, old claim marker and old tailing piles. Another is the little creek or ditch if they have a lot of different color rocks (quartz, black, yellow etc) Calico colors. You maybe in a gold bearing location. Your next step is to use your GPS or your 7.5 min topo map, check it out on the BLM web site look for the LR2000. This program is pretty good to tell you if that claim marker you spotted is still a current claim with the claim owners name & address. But, this program is updated by BLM workers and I find myself in Sacramento BLM double checking this computer program with hard files, just to be on the safe side. Bring your 7.5 min topo map with you the BLM folks will walk you through your research, their a great bunch of people there!

Keep up your search...it keeps the drive alive!

LuckyLundy

Tony,

Did you try dropping a rock down the pipe to get an idea of how deep it goes? Either way it is nice to get out and hike around looking for new spots. You never know until you try. Maybe you will hit a virgin patch and clean it up! Good luck and take care.

Cheers,

matt

Tony,

Glad you had sometime to get out and explore for new hunting areas. Things to look for when out and about are just the things you seen on your hike. Old metal things like your BBQ, old claim marker and old tailing piles. Another is the little creek or ditch if they have a lot of different color rocks (quartz, black, yellow etc) Calico colors. You maybe in a gold bearing location. Your next step is to use your GPS or your 7.5 min topo map, check it out on the BLM web site look for the LR2000. This program is pretty good to tell you if that claim marker you spotted is still a current claim with the claim owners name & address. But, this program is updated by BLM workers and I find myself in Sacramento BLM double checking this computer program with hard files, just to be on the safe side. Bring your 7.5 min topo map with you the BLM folks will walk you through your research, their a great bunch of people there!

Keep up your search...it keeps the drive alive!

LuckyLundy

Morning LuckyLundy,

Yep, Gotto love that GEO communicator and LR200, they go great hand in hand. Actually my first was to check these sites and get an idea on where I want to prospect, there are some active claims in the area and the surrounding areas were once active, in fact if you search "closed claims" you will see every section in the township was once claimed. What I like about the GEO topo which I believe uses ArcGIS maps is that they actually show tailing piles on some of the old mines, that is pretty awesome, the areas I was in shows it is not active but yea I hear you about the updates....you never know.

The TOPO map I view in GEO gets down to 1:18 so I took a snapshot of it and plotted the section on ANSI E, I could not believe the quality from the snapshot.

I had an awesome time and did find tailing piles, but my arms started itching last night......AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!! lol @$#%@^^ posion oak.

------------------

Hey Matt,

I know its hard to tell from the PIC but there was a light buildup of ice and it was very slippery at that time, if I had better boots I probably would have went up there, I purchased a pair from Walmart last year and they suit me fine in the summer but I just found out that the soles on these boots SUCK in the winter. I need to get a decent pair........ next time I am there I will check it out.

Later

Tony

Tony,

That poison oak!!! I'm the only guy in our group that get's it bad. Go to your Doctor and have them give you some Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.025%. This works wonders...I've seen guys with spray bottles with a weak mixture of bleach with water. They just spray it on when they hit some oak and or when the day of prospecting is done...I've never used this, but I hear great results.

LuckyLundy

Tony,

I second the vote for triamcinolone Acetonide Cream. You need a prescription for it though.

I got poison oak real bad last summer up near Happy Camp Ca. The clinic there has lots of experience dealing with poison oak because the fire fighters are always getting it in the summer. Lots of fires in the area almost every summer. The usual treatment is a cortizone shot followed up with the cream - works great.

Another thing you can do on the prevention side is if you know or suspect that you have been in poison oak you can use Tecnu skin cleanser. You have to use it within a few hours of contact. It removes the poison oak oils from the skin. That is what causes the rash.

I hate that poison oak stuff.

Imagine being in a wetsuit with a nasty case of poison oak. It is not fun.

good luck

Ken

When I lived in N. CA, whenever I suspected I'd gotten into the poison oak I would rinse with straight gasoline as quickly as possible...It dissolved the PO oils instantly....Over 25 years or so there in Siskiyou County the gas treatment worked every single time and I never rashed out at all...Cheers, Unc