The Hike With a Golden Ending

The night before I loaded up my Garmin with a couple of coordinates and hit the road this morning before light. The first spot was a one mile hump, in the chilly Sierra Foothills of Butte County. The oldtimer that told me about this spot said, in it's day it was a doosey! Well I found the spot and gave it a couple hours worth. I could tell it was worked by two sets of erea miners. The Great Depression miners, left some old riveted metal about and then the oldtimer I talked to back in the 1980's (Beer bottles giveaway). No gold found (no DD Coil), so I hit my second point of interest it was another 3/4 mile hump from this place. The next place was perfect, shallow basalt with old tertiary sitting on top of it. The oldtimer said, they didn't work it because it was on top of a big hill and no water to run the gravel. Well someone worked it! And they left me some gold!

LuckyLundy

8Jan09VetDig001.jpg

I didn't do a huge upgrade but I did go up a little. The SD2200 is a great machine and it got me a butt load of gold in a short time but with that said the ground noise was making it hard to get some of the smaller stuff .2dwt and smaller. Having days of getting 13 nuggets in a day where pretty good days and Lucky was getting 15-17 nuggets. Now the amount wasn't the big problem. Here was the problem I rarely got nuggets .2dwt and smaller as LuckyLundy was getting two or three each trip. At first I thought hey I just wasn't getting my coil over them. Then a very good friend of ours said hey I have a gp3000 that you can take for a test drive. So Lucky and I hit the fields and I was picking up nuggets or what we would consider pickers that where .1dwt and less. Do I think the SD2200 would pick a .1dwt up yes I do but as long as you don't have her wobbling from gound noise and em problems. After trying the 4500 and 4000 they are a great machine really the advantage from each one that I tried is they get a little bit more quiet with each one, so I guess each step really is how small of a piece of gold do you wish to find. I got a smokin deal on a pretty much new gp3000 and that is what I'm going to be swinging this weekend.

Well I hiked back to the top of the hill. Started off chilly and by lunch time I was down to my T-shirt, it was a great January day. I believe I got all the easy gold, now I need a bulldozer, to move the overburden and to bust up that hardpack.

9Jan09VetDig.jpg

Hey Jeff is that you??? Good luck on the GP3000, let me know. Dave

Hey Dave how are ya? Yep its me. Your old 2200 is now in the Mariposa area. Sold it to a guy that is green but he wants to learn. It worked for leading me to the gold I hope it does the same for him. You get your new detector yet?